“!!!!!excellent!!!!excellent!!!!excellent!!!!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Penny Airey- No.38 Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #263 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 June 2012

this was as big a part of our experience in scotland as much as any glen, loch , mountain, or scotch ! hats off to richard and penny!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 24 August 2011

This bed and breakfast facility is centrally located in Edinburgh, as it is only about 30 to 45 minutes' walking time (maximum) from any of the major sites. It is impeccably clean, and the hosts were simply wonderful. The room was of a very good size, and could amply accomodate our family group of 4. Breakfast was extremely good, and it was a nice surprise to be given a silver service (it feels nice to be pampered occasionally).
The two hosts were always accomodating, and were a valuable source of information about travel in and around Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Justme00052002
Reviewed 20 July 2011

We are a well traveled American family of 5: consisting of myself, wife and three small children ages 6, 3 and 1. This is our first ever holiday in Scotland and we are happy to have choosen correctly in staying at No38 B&B. Upon arrival our room was waiting for us tucked away at this nice corner of the house in which we immediately felt comfortable. Richard had organized the room to the needs of three small children with plenty of warm blankets to ward away the evening chill. The breakfast each morning was delightful and I have a new appreciation for Haggis, which I found quite tasty.

One side note... here in the USA we have a beer commercial for a brand called Dos Equis. In the commercial it touts "The most interesting man in the world". For you international travlers reading this please search out these commercials as it will prepare you for the most delightful conversations with Richard. As a matter of fact; I kept him up till 00:30 as I was so interested in his exeperiences in the South Pole regions and his diverse knowledge ranging from Scotish Salmon to Teraforming the planet Mars.

We are already planing our return to Scotland and we hope to stay at No 38 again.

Room Tip: During our July stay, didnt realize till arrival sunlight remains fairly bright till 23:00. Bring e...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 June 2011

I just had a delightful three-day stay at Penny and Richard’s. No. 38 Dublin Street is in a great location – centrally located yet in a quiet, mostly residential area. It is a charming old place that is very comfortably appointed and with all the modern conveniences. I had the front family room with a sitting area all to myself. I felt so comfortable that I fell asleep on the couch one evening thinking about what to do the next day. Penny and Richard run the B&B extremely efficiently, but that isn’t to say there is anything impersonal or overly business-like about the place. On the contrary, they are both extremely friendly and helpful, and that’s what makes this B&B very special. Breakfast was not only about a delicious and nourishing meal, but it was also about fascinating chats with Penny and Richard about the local history and places to visit as well as about their exploits in the world. I felt as if I were staying with old friends and wished I could have stayed longer. I’m definitely going to stay with them on my next visit to Edinburgh.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 May 2011

Smiling faces, excellent breakfast, beautiful spacious room and a crazy little dog!
Just perfect!
We felt more like staying with friends...
We will definately go back...
p.s: Don't worry about the dog. He is not everywhere. We just saw him and we wanted to meet him... :)

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank Vassiano
Reviewed 21 May 2011

Return trip to No.38 after the refurbishment. Penny and Richard welcomed us back like long lost friends and, like last time, did everything possible to make us feel at home. After eating one of Penny's breakfasts food shouldn't be a problem for the rest of the day. This time we wandered across to Broughton St to eat (2 mins walk) and were impressed by the variety of eating places there - it's not one of the usual tourist destinations. One other tip - the only place I could get a signal for my wireless internet was sitting right at the top of the bed...

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jpmcc_ta
Reviewed 7 January 2011

My Mum and I stayed here over the weekend of 10th December so we could do some Xmas shopping in Edinburgh.
I have been to Edinburgh numerous times and stayed in a few different places but this was by far the best.
Very well located, good value for money, comfortable room (although a bit hot at times and the water pressure was a little on the low side in the shower but no biggy) but the best part of the stay was our host Richard Airey.
I am not sure how things usually work, I think his wife, Penny, normally deals with the guests but she was laid up with her foot in plaster, but Richard was superb.
Very helpful, extremely knowledgeable about Edinburgh and its History, recommended a fab seafood restaurant (The Mussel Inn - Rose Street) and local bar (Cumberland Inn 0 Cumberland St),. Fascinating chap - he spent many years living at either the North or South pole (can't recall which) and had plenty of tales regarding his experiences.
Breakfast was at a communal dinning table with real silver ware and porridge like I have never had before!
Very highly recommended and would stay again in a heart beat.

Thanks Richard.