“Everything you'd expect from a highly-rated B&B, and then some!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Penny Airey- No.38 Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #246 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Firstly, the location. It's about a 10-minute leisurely stroll from Edinburgh Waverley station (15 if you're short and hauling huge trolley bags and bag-packs; 1.2 if you're an Olympic sprinter). Some would argue there are closer B&Bs; the fact that Penny Airey isn't located smack-dab in the bustling town centre was exactly why I liked it so much. The Royal Mile can be reached in less than 15 minutes of slow walking; other attractions like the National Portrait Gallery is barely 5-minutes away. Many places of interest (gardens, museums and galleries, and malls) as well as eateries and supermarkets are within 800 yards from the B&B so you'd rarely need to take the bus. However, the entrance to the B&B is below street level and some rooms and the dining area is one floor lower. There may be people who's find these points important.

Secondly, the airy and cozy room. Quite simply: wow. Five people could've comfortably stayed in the room we were given - and there were only three of us! Spacious, immaculate bathroom with powerful shower (there'll be a quick tutorial on how to operate it) and oh, there's hot water 24/7. Plenty of towels, comfy beds with vibrant beddings, warm blankets and a portable heater for the cool evenings. Also, tea-making facilities complete with a tray of delicious cookies and chocolates, a fridge, and a wide window with a nice view of the outside (sunshine provided separately depending on the whims of the weather gods). There was also a TV, DVD player and some mags but who needs' em when you have a city to explore! In short, very pleasant, and now that we're no longer there, sorely missed.

Thirdly, the home-cooked Scottish breakfast prepared exactly the way you want it. Very delicious, plentiful, and healthful. My Muslim friends were served with Mexican beef burgers which they testified to be simply fantastic. Because we had to check-out early, we were provided with a very satisfying picnic breakfast of sandwiches, pancakes, breads, sweets and fruits that kept us full until dinnertime! Seriously, there aren't enough words in four languages for us to gush over the wonderful meals we had the pleasure to savour during our stay.

Lastly, the very-hospitable owners. Penny and Richard were so helpful and accommodating: early breakfasts, special dietary requirements, travel tips and recs, letting me harass their dog everyday but keeping it away from my Muslim friends, and Richard carrying our shopping-heavy luggages from our room at the lowest floor all the way to the street at 7am on the day of our departure. TERIMA KASIH!

My friends and I spent a year planning this trip; thanks, Penny and Richard, for playing a huge part in making it perfect.

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank BabsMY

Reviewed 22 September 2012

We planned to stay here for three nights at the start of September 2012. I always spend ages searching for the ideal place to stay, so I was really happy that there was a room free on the nights of our planed stay.

However about six weeks before our holiday Penny wrote to me and told me that she had just found out that her neighbour was planning some major building work, so it might be better if we cancelled.

Now here's the thing, Penny found us alternative (more expensive) accommodation and even paid the difference herself. Both me and my wife were astounded not only by her generosity but also by her honesty. Our other accommodation was fantastic, and our trip to Edinburgh was perfect. Can you imagine this ever happening with a hotel?

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank iampatrickbateman
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our week long stay with Penny and Richard from July 9-15th and highly recommend this beautiful B&B.

The location is great – only a 10 minute walk from Waverly train station, and a 20 minute walk from all the sites we wanted to see including Edinburgh Castle, Calton Hill, Holyrood Palace, Royal Botanical Gardens – and the list goes on. Though centrally located it is on a quiet street and we never heard any city noise during our stay.

There were 3 of us – myself, my husband and our 15 year old son. Our large room had a double bed and single bed with a sitting area, small fridge, private bath, plus supplies for hot chocolate, tea, coffee, and cookies.

Our hosts were charming and we thoroughly enjoyed all our conversations. As other reviewers have noted, Richard is a fascinating fellow to talk to – he tells highly entertaining stories in a very personable way. Penny is a fabulous cook and a real sweetheart – and her breakfasts are amazing. We loved the French press coffee, and the porridge was great. If we chose a fruit plate over porridge, we received a full side plate with 4-5 different fruit, beautifully presented. For the cooked breakfast, Penny was happy to cook your eggs however you liked, and served them with bacon, sausage, potato or pancake, mushrooms, tomato, toast, plus hot chocolate with several marshmallows for our son. We weren’t usually hungry until mid to late afternoon! Penny even cooked haggis one morning and black pudding the next for our adventurous 15 year old.

The WIFI worked well, the room was large, the bedding was lovely, and our hosts were fantastic - we very highly recommend this pretty B&B. One side note, if we were to visit again we would book directly with Richard and Penny. The agency sites (including VisitScotland.com which we booked through) take a large commission for no added value. My strong recommendation would be to get in touch with these lovely people directly and make your reservation with them, rather than through a third party.

In conclusion, after our excellent stay in Edinburgh we moved on to Glasgow and stayed at another nice B&B. While deciding what we wanted for breakfast, our son asked – “Can I have porridge like Penny made?” No – only cold cereal offered. “Can I have my eggs scrambled?” No – only a sunny side up option. He sighed heavily and said – “I sure miss Penny... it would nice if there were more Penny’s in the world...” We heartily agree!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ceedee3
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Penny and Richard are great hosts. The location is walking distance to all the city sites. The rooms and breakfasts were great. Richard is very knowable about Scotland. He gave us excellent advice for places to go and see.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Well-located B&B in the New Town, less than ten minutes' walk from Edinburgh Waverley station. My room was quiet, very comfortable and characterfully decorated, with a view onto a pretty garden. The free Wifi and the shower both worked fine (both v. important on a business trip!). Richard and Penny were very friendly and keen to ensure that I had everything I needed. Good-quality breakfast with porridge as well as the usual cooked fare, and Penny even made pancakes on the final morning. A bit expensive, but frankly so is everywhere else in central Edinburgh and the price compared well to the competition.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2012

this was as big a part of our experience in scotland as much as any glen, loch , mountain, or scotch ! hats off to richard and penny!

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 August 2011

This bed and breakfast facility is centrally located in Edinburgh, as it is only about 30 to 45 minutes' walking time (maximum) from any of the major sites. It is impeccably clean, and the hosts were simply wonderful. The room was of a very good size, and could amply accomodate our family group of 4. Breakfast was extremely good, and it was a nice surprise to be given a silver service (it feels nice to be pampered occasionally).
The two hosts were always accomodating, and were a valuable source of information about travel in and around Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family