“A wonderful, welcoming, and and charming B&B!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Penny Airey- No.38 Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #250 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“A wonderful, welcoming, and and charming B&B!”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

I usually have pretty good luck selecting accommodations when I travel, but I was especially fortunate to have stumbled upon Penny and Richard's B&B. My daughter and I spent six nights there and couldn't have been happier. Our room was large, lovely, and comfortable. Breakfasts were delicious feasts that kept us going during hours of walking, and both Richard and Penny served beautifully presented plates with graciousness and wonderful conversation without being at all intrusive. Both my daughter and I felt that an important part of our stay in Edinburgh was meeting such lovely people--indeed, I wish we had been able to get to know them better and hope to see them again on some future visit. Both were happy to offer advice to their guests, but more valuable than that was their willingness to share something of themselves. The house is an inviting combination of charm and comfort in a neighborhood that is excellently located for a visit to Edinburgh, but the B&B itself can't compare to the people who run it--we feel fortunate to have crossed paths with Penny, Richard, and their family. I hope we do again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
geneva
Reviewed 27 March 2013

38 Dublin Street is in a great location for looking around Edinburgh, by foot or by bus, with the plus of being very quiet and away from the noise of the busy main streets. 1 minute from the fascinating Scottish National Portrait Gallery, 5 minutes from Waverley station and 5 minutes from Princes Street or St James centre for shopping. The triple (family) room was large and very comfortable with a huge settee to relax and watch tv. The breakfast was delicious, with haggis, or pancakes, or drop scones as an extra. Perfect hosts. In fact just perfect altogether...

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Bicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 October 2012

I use to look for hidden gems in Trip Advisor - places that are not mainstream yet but still provide great service. Penny Airey is one of these fantastic places that nobody knows a lot about. All the reviews were fantastic and so is mine. The rooms are huge, spacious but nice, cosy and warm. We have the front door room and it's much more than a bedroom - a bedroom with a living room. Penny is a fantastic host and we really enjoyed our stay there. Last, but not least, the price is fantastic. We paid GBP 95 per night, for the double room. I checked other B&B, and those on the top of the list charge you GBP 165. The difference in the price is inmense but I am sure that Penny Airey is, in terms of quality, comfort and service, second to none.

And I almost forget - fantastic location!!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Melaka
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I just don't understand why there are so little reviews on this piece of gem and I am determined to spread the news about this lovely place because this place deserves all the praises that I am going to shower upon it! We stayed here for 4 nights during the Military Tattoo and were so happy with the welcome and care we received from Penny, Richard and their lovely dog, Culag. Location wise, it is so near Waverly Station and the Royal Mile. Depending on how fast your walk is, you could easily reach Waverly Station in 5 minutes! I kid you not. The National Potrait Gallery is less than 60 metres away. Don't believe me,try google maps. In a nutshell, the location is fantastic.

For breakfast, we were given a choice of fruits, porridge and full Scottish breakfast. Being Malaysians, we have quite an appetite and so we took all three and Penny made no fuss at all. There were 2 vegetarians in our party and she catered towards their needs wonderfully and even suggested a hot and spicy vegetarian piece for them (which turned to be mild for our spicy Asian tastes but absolutely delicious nonetheless). The tableware and linen were exquisite just as other reviewers have mentioned. Penny and Richard also kindly accommodated twice towards our request for an early breakfast so that we could catch our Rabbies tour and also a packed breakfast as we had to catch an early train to Inverness.

We took the family room which was so large and roomy complete with a small fridge.

Just to keep future guests informed No. 38 is located in the New Town and is below the street level. You need to go down just a flight of stairs and you will be greeted with beautiful flowers as you go down. In fact, it is the only place on that street which has so many flowers. As it is in the New Town the fares are just as competitive as the other BnB's in the area. I know as I checked close to 20 BnB's before settling on this place due to the spaciousness of the room and the friendly email exchange I had with Penny.

Penny is a warm and friendly host. Not only that she was very sincere in trying to make us feel at home. One of the examples is this : As we come from Malaysia known for its warm and humid weather, we found it difficult to cope with Edinburgh's cool climate even though it was Summer! She switched on the central heating for us to help us to cope and during breakfast suggested we take porridge as well so that it would warm us up. That definitely did the trick once we started taking porridge. Richard was just as friendly as Penny informing us of the many places we could go visit in Edinburgh.He also informed us about the mechanics of the European shower that was installed in the bedroom so that we could use it properly. The shower was fantastic and just nice all the way

This is a splendid place to stay in and I wish more people would know about this little gem! The next time you plan to stay in Edinburgh, please try out Penny Airey.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Firstly, the location. It's about a 10-minute leisurely stroll from Edinburgh Waverley station (15 if you're short and hauling huge trolley bags and bag-packs; 1.2 if you're an Olympic sprinter). Some would argue there are closer B&Bs; the fact that Penny Airey isn't located smack-dab in the bustling town centre was exactly why I liked it so much. The Royal Mile can be reached in less than 15 minutes of slow walking; other attractions like the National Portrait Gallery is barely 5-minutes away. Many places of interest (gardens, museums and galleries, and malls) as well as eateries and supermarkets are within 800 yards from the B&B so you'd rarely need to take the bus. However, the entrance to the B&B is below street level and some rooms and the dining area is one floor lower. There may be people who's find these points important.

Secondly, the airy and cozy room. Quite simply: wow. Five people could've comfortably stayed in the room we were given - and there were only three of us! Spacious, immaculate bathroom with powerful shower (there'll be a quick tutorial on how to operate it) and oh, there's hot water 24/7. Plenty of towels, comfy beds with vibrant beddings, warm blankets and a portable heater for the cool evenings. Also, tea-making facilities complete with a tray of delicious cookies and chocolates, a fridge, and a wide window with a nice view of the outside (sunshine provided separately depending on the whims of the weather gods). There was also a TV, DVD player and some mags but who needs' em when you have a city to explore! In short, very pleasant, and now that we're no longer there, sorely missed.

Thirdly, the home-cooked Scottish breakfast prepared exactly the way you want it. Very delicious, plentiful, and healthful. My Muslim friends were served with Mexican beef burgers which they testified to be simply fantastic. Because we had to check-out early, we were provided with a very satisfying picnic breakfast of sandwiches, pancakes, breads, sweets and fruits that kept us full until dinnertime! Seriously, there aren't enough words in four languages for us to gush over the wonderful meals we had the pleasure to savour during our stay.

Lastly, the very-hospitable owners. Penny and Richard were so helpful and accommodating: early breakfasts, special dietary requirements, travel tips and recs, letting me harass their dog everyday but keeping it away from my Muslim friends, and Richard carrying our shopping-heavy luggages from our room at the lowest floor all the way to the street at 7am on the day of our departure. TERIMA KASIH!

My friends and I spent a year planning this trip; thanks, Penny and Richard, for playing a huge part in making it perfect.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank BabsMY
Sweden
Reviewed 22 September 2012

We planned to stay here for three nights at the start of September 2012. I always spend ages searching for the ideal place to stay, so I was really happy that there was a room free on the nights of our planed stay.

However about six weeks before our holiday Penny wrote to me and told me that she had just found out that her neighbour was planning some major building work, so it might be better if we cancelled.

Now here's the thing, Penny found us alternative (more expensive) accommodation and even paid the difference herself. Both me and my wife were astounded not only by her generosity but also by her honesty. Our other accommodation was fantastic, and our trip to Edinburgh was perfect. Can you imagine this ever happening with a hotel?

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank iampatrickbateman
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our week long stay with Penny and Richard from July 9-15th and highly recommend this beautiful B&B.

The location is great – only a 10 minute walk from Waverly train station, and a 20 minute walk from all the sites we wanted to see including Edinburgh Castle, Calton Hill, Holyrood Palace, Royal Botanical Gardens – and the list goes on. Though centrally located it is on a quiet street and we never heard any city noise during our stay.

There were 3 of us – myself, my husband and our 15 year old son. Our large room had a double bed and single bed with a sitting area, small fridge, private bath, plus supplies for hot chocolate, tea, coffee, and cookies.

Our hosts were charming and we thoroughly enjoyed all our conversations. As other reviewers have noted, Richard is a fascinating fellow to talk to – he tells highly entertaining stories in a very personable way. Penny is a fabulous cook and a real sweetheart – and her breakfasts are amazing. We loved the French press coffee, and the porridge was great. If we chose a fruit plate over porridge, we received a full side plate with 4-5 different fruit, beautifully presented. For the cooked breakfast, Penny was happy to cook your eggs however you liked, and served them with bacon, sausage, potato or pancake, mushrooms, tomato, toast, plus hot chocolate with several marshmallows for our son. We weren’t usually hungry until mid to late afternoon! Penny even cooked haggis one morning and black pudding the next for our adventurous 15 year old.

The WIFI worked well, the room was large, the bedding was lovely, and our hosts were fantastic - we very highly recommend this pretty B&B. One side note, if we were to visit again we would book directly with Richard and Penny. The agency sites (including VisitScotland.com which we booked through) take a large commission for no added value. My strong recommendation would be to get in touch with these lovely people directly and make your reservation with them, rather than through a third party.

In conclusion, after our excellent stay in Edinburgh we moved on to Glasgow and stayed at another nice B&B. While deciding what we wanted for breakfast, our son asked – “Can I have porridge like Penny made?” No – only cold cereal offered. “Can I have my eggs scrambled?” No – only a sunny side up option. He sighed heavily and said – “I sure miss Penny... it would nice if there were more Penny’s in the world...” We heartily agree!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family