“Very tasty food, cool decor and friendly staff!”
Review of Shebeen Dalry Road

Shebeen Dalry Road
Ranked #288 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$19 - US$39
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Kids, Child-friendly, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Shebeen Steakhouse & Braai offers a wide selection of fresh, homemade dishes and are specifically known for its large selection of well matured beef, offering rich flavours that can only be found in this high quality of meat. Shebeen also hold a variety of South African beverages including Castle Lager, Savannah Dry and a selection of South African wines. Under the expert guiding hand of our head chef, Shebeen provides some of the best traditional, homemade and locally sourced South African food with a modern and stylish twist, including Biltong, Boerewors, South African Samosas, Pap en Vleis and wonderful array of South African deserts.
“Very tasty food, cool decor and friendly staff!”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Had always fancied Shebeen so when one opened nearby in Dalry i had the perfect excuse to try it out! We were greeted by two lovely friendly staff who were all smiles. The South Afican theme throughtout the restaurant was really cool, down to the presentation of the food in these amazing cast iron pots. Very impressive menu, no complaints from me or the boyfriend. The ox tail was unreal, as were the BBQ ribs for starters. Will be back soon!

Visited July 2014
2 Thank JenniferRosabell

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Authentic!”
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I've been to South Africa threes times and have South African friends. We all love it at Shebeen and the new place in Dalry is excellent. Well decorated and delicious. I suggest having the starter you can share at it is a meat feast heaven. Steaks are also yum. Definitely a place to go!

• Visited June 2014
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Absolutely delicious!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

First visit to Shebeen and to a South African cuisine restaurant. I had heard and seen a lot about the Lion sized steaks so was very curious. The restaurant in Dalry was newly opened and done up inside. The decor was really nice and a modern twist on South African colours, etc. The staff were very friendly and atmosphere generally quiet. I was there for a birthday meal for 10 people on a Tuesday at 7pm. More diners arived shortly after us but it wasn't full which was good.

For starter we shared the Fanagalo. I would highly recommend this!!! Its for a minimum of two and consists of a mix of meats (sausages, meatballs, spare ribs, etc). There is two of each item included. We ordered three between six, it was too much but hard to stop eating!

For main I ordered the Bunny Chow (it was close call between that, the steak and the burger). If you like curries and want to try something a bit different I would definitely recommend it. Its a slightly sweet but very flavoursome South African style curry with lamb (other options with Beef or Veg). It comes in a hollowed out cylindrical bread tower with a bread lid, small side salad garnish and side relish/dip. I seemed to have potatoes in it too which I discovered half way through. The lamb was quite fatty inside so I did have to do some picking and disecting but the curry was so tasty it didn't bother me. I would get again but likely try the beef next time though.

For dessert I had the Melktert which was recommended to me by the waitress. It was really nice, like a custard pie but better quality and the base was delicious. I also tried my friends Capetonian crumble - it looked like apple crumble and tasted like it too but it was nice. I tried the Peppermint crisp torte too, it was more of a mousse than a torte but really good.

Overall I was very impressed with the food and the restaurant. I will definitely go back there, especially for the Fanagalo starter.

The prices were very good too vesus the food. For three courses and a soft drink (+service charge) it cost me £29. Definitely better than most of the higher priced and (seemingly) high quality restaurants.

• Visited June 2014