“nice stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Stevenson House
Ranked #75 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 24 July 2010

Was exciting to stay in the home of R.L.Stevenson. Friendly hosts.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with family

Reviewed 24 May 2010

It was a last minute booking and we weren't sure what to expect. What we found was an incredible house in a great, central location and a vivacious welcoming hostess to open the door to us. Felicitas showed us our four poster room full of character and with great views. The house is grand and impressive, and yet it doesn't have the feel of a museum but rather a wonderful lived-in family home. This was confirmed in the morning as we shared the breakfast table with their charming budding inventor son and exuberant twins (it's worth pointing out that we weren't bothered by noise at all during our stay). The food was excellent, we were really impressed with the variety on offer, especially delicious home made jams, bread and muesli. Felicitas and John are wonderful hosts: they are both very interesting, hospitable and helpful. If you want a unique, warm Edinburgh experience, and not the sterility and anonymity of a hotel, then this one is for you.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 February 2010

If you like Edinburgh, the New Town and happy people around you, this is the room for you to book. The house is beautiful and situated in the very elegant Heriot Row, a prime location in the best part of the New Town.

What makes this house so special is to share it with the Macfie family. Chatting with Felicitas and John is always stimulating. Meeting their bright children at breakfast or during the day is always nice and full of fun. Nights are very quiet, I never heard any noise. Breakfast is excellent and healthy.

For solo travellers or mates I recommend the twin room which offers a beautiful look across the Forth to Fife. Couples might prefer the room with a four poster bed and historic bathroom.

I have stayed here twice in two years and I will return. You will not find a flatscreen TV in your room. It would be a waste of time in beautiful Edinburgh. But maybe you will find a little chrystal mug of whisky in your room as a Scottish refreshment. And a pot of tea in the afternoon is always at hand together with someone to have a chat with. A wonderful place for a holiday or business trip to remember.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Andreas2007
Reviewed 24 November 2009

This B&B was just what I had hoped for, it was central, very clean and we felt so incredibly lucky to have found it. We are literary minded and love history and so it was wonderful to find this historic gem. We did not need any transport as Edinburgh is so accessible to pedestrians from Heriot Row. I don't understand how anybody could fault this home, this is exactly what we had searched for. John explained the intricacies of the Scottish legal system to us, Felicitas had lots of cultural tips for us and fed us royally. I returned home firmly hoping that next year I will also convert the fruits of our garden to delicious jams. When I asked her for her marmelade recipe she not only gave it to me but a jar of it as well, that's what I call Scottish hospitality !! And by the way, my husband and I are completely enamoured with the extremely well mannered and gorgeous children !

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 November 2009

i have stayed in a lot of B&Bs, but this one was gorgeous! I was warmly welcomed by the owners themselves, and immediatly fell in love with the charme of this historic house. Perfect location, room and beds were great, breakfast was lovely, especially the homemade jams. Thank you for everything - will definitly stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2009

My husband and I spent 3 nights at the RLS house in September and found it to be a wonderful experience. Upon arrival we were greeted with hot tea in the dining room and a dram of fine whiskey in our room. We have 3 beautiful grandchildren, so loved being a part of a family. The twins, with their blonde curly locks, are just too cute. After reading many of the reviews, I can honestly say..all are accurate. The RLS house is not for those looking for a pristine hotel-type atmosphere, but if you want to be conveniently located to the best of Edinburgh, be a part of a family experience (which is what we were looking for), stay in a historic house full of antiques, books and love ..then this is the place for you. We enjoyed getting to know Felicitas & John and both were very helpful in giving us tips on getting around Edinburgh. We would definitely stay again if we are blessed to get the opportunity to travel to Scotland again.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tkwood
Reviewed 27 September 2009

Since I have to go to northern England and Scotland quite often because of professional reasons, I was very glad to find the Macfie familiy and their wonderful house. In this B&B, everything is just perfect: the atmosphere is so friendly and warmhearted, that one immediately feels at home. The six Macfie-children, ranging from lovely two-year-old-twins to almost grown up sons, are perfectly well brought up and are just a pleasure. Although being quite engaged with an forthcoming conference, I never felt disturbed and found it an ideal place for work as well as for leisure. The Macfies even were so kind to help me with some problems of translation and to let me use their computer, so that I could correct a powerpoint presentation. The house is elegant and tastefully furnished, the bedrooms/bath being very comfortable and clean. I also very much enjoyed the breakfast itself with homemade bread, jam and 'Bircher Müsli'. Since having been there twice now, I really consider them as my 'scottish home' and I'm already looking forward to the next stay!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business