Alva House
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$207
US$201
  • Restaurant
Apex Grassmarket Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$150
US$150
US$358
US$325
  • Restaurant
Ibis Edinburgh Centre Royal Mile(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$270
  • Bar/Lounge
Fraser Suites Edinburgh(Edinburgh)
US$182
  • Restaurant
Apex City of Edinburgh Hotel(Edinburgh)(Great Value!)
US$163
US$152
Agoda.com
US$221
US$201
Travelocity
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 January 2013

It's not a hard 10 minutes walk into the city centre, and the place is clean and tidy. Breakfast spread was decent, a bit disappointed that the bathroom for the Superior Room is not ensuite. there is a small kitchen where you can prepare meals or make an extensive breakfast if you want to. There's also free wifi!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 September 2012

It is not often that I stay in a guest house, and hotel prices in Edinburgh seemed outrageous to me, so I thought I'd take the opportunity to stay in a gay place. When I arrived, Martin, the owner, showed me to my room and explained the various bars in the city. I had a large single room without bath, so I used the one in the hallway. The arrangement is very much like staying in someone's house; downstairs, there is a small kitchen with four chairs and stuff to make breakfast stacked out in the morning. Upstairs, there is a small landing surrounded by four bedrooms and a shared bathroom, which was rarely occupied. My bedroom was not particularly large but had free wifi (not mentioned on the website), a nice television and a sink as well as an apparatus to hang your clothing. The shared bathroom was nicely decorated and clean, although it lacked towels for washing one's hands after using the facilities (I had to use the sink in my bedroom). Also, as stated earlier, there can be some noise in the morning between London Road and the heavy metal on the doors, and this woke me up. Breakfast was interesting, as I got to meet a couple of other guys who were visiting, which was enjoyable. Alva House is located a little far from the exact center of town, but the city is so small it did not really matter. Note that nearby on Easter Road, there is a Lothian bus that runs up part of the Royal Mile and eventually to the Airport (although only during prime day and evening hours). Make sure you have exact change. The only inconvenience about Alva House that I can think of is that it does not have a 24-hour reception, so you have to give them an idea of when you will be arriving. This was not problematic for me, but if you're casually driving from somewhere, this could force you to plan ahead. Overall, I would recommend staying at Alva House if only because it is clean, accessible and gives you more money to spend in an expensive city.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank stp0707
Reviewed 21 July 2012

ARRIVING -
I walked from the airport bus stop (at Waverley Station) until Alva Place (15 Minutes). I knew exactly the way because I checked it at google-maps before. But ALVA PLACE is the name of the building, not the street. I went first to the wrong street (also Alva Place) und could not find the number 45. Then I decided to go to the next street. It was there!

NOT A HOTEL -
If you are expecting the luxury of a hotel, you are wrong here. Important that you know: it is a Guesthouse, a kind of bed & Breakfast. But a VERY GOOD one!
Yes, it is a Gay Guesthouse with high level (not sexually orientated) and the prices are very reasonable. A well renovated historical building and VERY CLEAN !
Martin, the owner, was very friendly and gave me immediately information about the city.
I got my private key when I arrived and felt really free.

ROOM –
I booked a single room and when I arrived, I was offered a double comfortable and clean room upstairs for the same price. The bed sheets and towels were also very clean and new !

TOILET/ BATHROOM -
It was only three steps from my door and I shared it with the guests from the other three rooms. That was not a problem at all. The bathroom is small but looks beautiful. The hand soup has a delicious perfume!
BREAKFAST - was self-service/ prepare you own. Tea, (no coffee), milk, yogurt, cereals, toasts, butter, jam, honey, fruits (bananas, apples) muffins. And you can eat as much as you want until almost 12 am. (I missed some cheese.) You have breakfast together with other guests in one table. That is a nice opportunity to meet other people and talk. (If you are not a morning-talker, don’t worry, it is also possible that the others are still sleeping, or have already left, when you are having you breakfast alone in the kitchen.)

KITCHEN -
Small but fine ! And it is open all day long (and night). You can always have tea, biscuits…

NOISY –
The narrow street is quiet, but Alva House is close to London Road, which is extremely busy and noisy. I slept with my window a bit open (for fresh air) and it was loud. BUT I could sleep very well with my earplugs! (If you close the window I guess, you don’t need earplugs.)

DISTANCE -
Alva House is not in the central area. And I particularly find this good, because I prefer to keep a bit of distance from the touristic places. But in a 15 minute-walk you arrive in the Princes Street / Royal Mile.

VERY NEAR - Regent*s Pub / Sainsbury’s Supermarket only 5 min walk. And a delicious Indian Restaurant called TANDORI ROTI (only to take away) 2 min.walk in the London Road almost in the corner with Easter Road.

SURPRISE -
Yes, it is a nice surprise, when you book an accommodation per internet without knowing how is going to be and when you are there, you feel at home !

Ronaldo N.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank X Y
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I have stayed at ALVA HOUSE on several trips to Edinburgh and it nevers faulters. The rooms are spotless as is the rest of the property.Breakfast is help yourself in the kitchen but thats the way i like it, ceral ,toast,muffins juice tea and coffee ,all in the price and Martin the owner has no objection if you wish to use the facilities during the day or evening. Home from home and Martin always make u feel welcome.Always my place too stay in the lovely city of Edinburgh and cant wait to visit again later in the year. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank raleigh50
Reviewed 15 September 2011

My partner and I recently stayed at Alva House on our way to see family elsewhere in Scotland. As I have stayed here before I knew a little about rhe place. It is a Gay guesthouse, but it is not cheap, nasty or sexually orientated.

Let me start by saying that this is the best value for money B&B in Edinburgh. The rooms that I have stayed in are extremely well appointed. I booked the double bit was upgrade into the superior which was appreciated, and even if we paid the asking price we would have been very impressed.

The owner was on hand to attend to our needs and we had a nice chat over breakfast.

The Alva is located down the London road but is only an easy 10min walk to either Holyrood Palace/Royal Mile or Picardy Place and the New Town.

We come to Edinburgh often and this will definately be our first choice of accomodation from now on. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2011