“Lo♥ed it”
Review of Alva House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Alva House
Ranked #277 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2014

perfect guesthouse for gaymen. A tiny refuge in a busy city. My room was spic and span clean, had a good bed, a lavabo with hot and cold water and a really good telly. Breakfast is simple but adequate. The location is perfect. Walking distance to Waverley Station and very quiet at night. I was really quite happy there. The host is a perfect gentleman and knows everything about Edinburgh. The kitchen is not only a meetingpoint but also fully equiped ... If I ever go again to Edinburgh this is the place I wanna be :-)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank londonlover68

Reviewed 15 April 2014

I stayed here on Saturday for 1 night i must say it is the cleanliest most friendliest place i have stayed in a while when arriving i was shown straight to my room then round the communal kitchen where i was told to help myself to tea coffee hot chocolate and biscuits was given my keys and told to have a nice stay. i stayed in the single room where the decor was so nice and bright had my own washand basin TV and DVD. the bed was a single and very comfortable i would not hesitate to stay here again and would recommend to anyone staying in Edinburgh to stay here
thanks for my wonderful 1 night stay

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank George_Hall
Reviewed 30 October 2013

We stayed here in July - the mattress was so comfortable I peeled back the bedclothes to see what it was - unfortunately the company no longer makes them, typical!

Anyway, we had the room opposite the kitchen on the 1st floor; pleasant decor. We had private, but separate, bathroom - which was next to the room so perfectly capable of making it an attached en-suite, but there we are - the nuances of B&B.

Breakfast was plentiful - as were the flies in the room. Really not sure why so many came in, they circled like planes waiting to land at Heathrow.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DavidNewman69
Reviewed 28 September 2013

Only has 5 rooms and the description on the web site is accurate. I had booked the smallest (and cheapest) one and it was larger than I expected. Most rooms have shared bathroom and toilet but this is no problem as they are near to the rooms, The place is clean and martin provides a good continental breakfast which you can have anytime up to noon. Free cooffe tea and buscuts always available in the kitchen/breakfast room. Good gay pub (regent) nearby and within walking distance to city centre. if yu dont feel like walking plenty of buses available. if using bus buy a day pass for £3.50 it gets you nearly everywhere.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank tmbobSlough
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Stayed here for a long weekend, and what a find!

Emailed the owner Martin and reserved the room, all he required was an approx arrival time - in the event we were about an hour earlier than anticipated, but not a problem....we were offered coffee whilst the room was prepared, which had a beautiful polished floor, lovely firm mattress on the bed, and a kitchen directly opposite where you can make tea/coffee etc whenever you want.

Room was spotless, well maintained, and my only quibble would be that the room wasn't en-suite......that said, the bathroom was the next door along!

Martin was a great host, friendly and knowledgeable about Edinburgh, and for anyone, I couldn't recommend this place highly enough....we'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Room One has a private bathroom....not en-suite, but literally the next door!
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 August 2013

I had an extended stay at the Alva House during May 2012 for about 3 weeks; give or take a day or two. The owner, Martin, was gracious and accommodating. He took the time to explain the area, pointing out places where I could save money, and even allowed me to do a few loads of laundry. Some of the other reviews are a bit unfair.

The Alva House is not a luxury hotel but it is clean, convenient and adequate. The design is simple but modern bed and breakfast.

To be honest, it can be a little noisy but Edinburgh is a bustling city. If you want peace and quiet go to the Scottish countryside. You'll get plenty of it there!

It is a 10-15 minute walk to Holyrood Palace, Arthur's Seat, Calton Hill, Scottish Parlement and the Royal Mile. There's also several neighborhood bars where there's inexpensive bar food.

In regards to the unfriendly service, I can only tell you that if you want overly friendly service then maybe you should stay at the Ritz. In my experience, British people tend to be a little more constrained and are not overly friendly; Scots maybe being the exception. You must earn their trust. Get over it.

When I'm visiting Edinburgh in the future the Alva House will receive my patronage.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank TomKYHWU-EBS
Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

Great guest house been here a few times would definitely recommend this Martin the owner Is very nice and friendly great gay men only guest house fresh and clean good to come and go as you wish very quiet and in a great area would deffenitly go back to stay hear great value for money and a great warm welcome

• Stayed: July 2013