“Not my favourite”

Ranked #81 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Hastings, United Kingdom
“Not my favourite”
Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

I have just returned from my third stay at this hotel. After my first stay, I was promised a room at the front of the hotel for my next visit as I complained about the noise from the trains.

The room for my second visit was booked 3 months in advance but I was told on arrival that they had overbooked and that I would be transferred to the Edinburgh Centre Hotel. They at least paid my taxi fare to and from the hotel and to and from my place of work the next day but it was pretty inconvenient. I was given a room upgrade which did go someway to compensate me and some points were added to my loyalty card.

It is a reasonably pleasant hotel and the staff are very accommodating but there is just something about it that makes it difficult to give it a good review. The trains are very noisy especially for rooms at the back of the hotel but colleagues who had rooms at the front of the building complained about noise from a coach turning up at 5:00 in the morning and disturbing their sleep (reversing bleepers!!). The rooms are very warm and leaving the window open is definitely not an option as it is just too noisy. I wish I could think of something positive but to be honest, I once again had two restless nights and if I could choose an alternative, I am sorry to say that I would.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Louise M, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Park, responded to this review, 3 August 2014
Thank you for you review of Novotel Edinburgh Park. Due to a technical problem with our reservation systems we were taking more bookings than we could accomodate. We do try to allocate and cover any expenses if the guest is inconvienced in any way. Outbooking is not favoured by any hotel and we can only apologise and try to rectify any problems we come across. We will take action on the coaches being parked outside the hotel so early in the morning and thank you for bringing this to our attention. We wish you well for the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel itself was pleasant, rooms comfortable and clean and breakfast spread very good. However....
The whole experience from booking to arrival was the worst I have ever experienced. So firstly, I booked 2 rooms on a "book now, pay on arrival" tariff, the price being slightly more expensive than if you paid at the time of booking. However despite this they actually took the full amount for one of the rooms at the time of booking (interestingly not for both rooms!). The hotel constantly denied this, saying they had just pre-authorised the amount, and still denied it even when I produced my bank statement and transaction code showing the amount actually being debited. It took about a month to get the money refunded, which is appalling, and throughout the entire process the staff at the hotel were completely unhelpful and rude, and it only got resolved through the efforts of the company I booked through. Initially the hotel offered absolutely no compensation despite the amount of time I spent trying to resolve what was entirely their mistake. Eventually the company I booked through managed to get the hotel to offer room upgrades and free breakfast, which they did actually honour when we stayed. When they did send a receipt confirming they'd refunded the money it came through with the correct name but completely the wrong address, which a quick google showed to be on a housing estate in a city hundreds of miles from where I live (and have never lived). Highly dodgy!!

Then a few months later, and still a couple of months before our stay, the hotel sent an email saying my credit card details didn't work and I needed to update them within 2 days or else they might cancel my booking. Well, firstly, 2 days is an unacceptable amount of time, and the first day passed without me being able to check my emails. On the 2nd day, I queried this immediately with the company I booked through as I was confused because a) they already had my credit card details, which hadn't changed, and I knew there was enough money there, and b) why did they even need my card details at this point - to try to charge me wrongly again?? And then within the 2 day window, before I had had time to re-enter the details they already had, they cancelled my booking!! Fortunately the company I booked through, Booking.com, were excellent again and sorted this out and re-instated my booking.

The whole process of booking was extremely stressful, took huge amounts of my time, and most concerningly demonstrated fraudulent behaviour from the hotel. The only thing I'm grateful of is that the hotel was actually nice when we got there and the staff we dealt with during our stay were very nice. However, rest assured I will never stay at a Novotel again and will be warning everyone else not to as well!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Emma H
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Novotel Edinburgh Park.
We do apologise for any inconvience caused by our staff with your Reservation. Please be assured we are reviewing our policies and will take measures to address all areas of concern.
UK
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I often travel with my wife and three kids. As such we inevitably need two interconnecting rooms. So many properties struggle with this, but the Novotel was happy to confirm this arrangement when we booked and sure enough when we arrived, all the beds were made up correctly and the interconnecting door was open, too. What's more housekeeping had also added extra bits to show they realised we had five people across the two rooms.

The hotel is well located for transport links (tram and train stops 100m away), check in was swift and friendly, and the room was in a good state of repair. There was a good spread of food on offer at breakfast, and room service was of good quality, sensibly priced and the service was prompt, too.

As for the downsides...

The lack of air-con. Edinburgh may not be known for its tropical weather, but it was rather warm the nights we were there, making for an unpleasant attempt at sleeping. Windows didn't open all that far and there was noise outside. Also the curtains (drapes) didn't fit that well so the short summer nights meant light seeping into the room from around 4am.

Whilst the food on offer at breakfast was of a decent quality for a hotel of this standard, staff were struggling to keep up - food was running out on occasion (things like bread - nothing fancy). Also, on the Sunday morning we were just ahead of a big rush, but I saw the line at one point and it was back to reception.

Finally the car park - I picked up a hire car on the last morning and needed to park up to get the suitcases. The car park was completely full, I presume because of a sales function that was going on at the hotel that morning. There was a staff car park area at the East of the hotel that was empty but coned off, so I simply had to park up outside the front of the hotel.

So great room management, good location but a couple of ragged edges that could really serve to annoy.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your recent review of Novotel Edinbburgh Park. Our hotel is very busy and it is inevitable queues will happen at certain prefered eating times. We can only apologise for any inconvience this caused you and your family. We wish you well for the future.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 23 July 2014

New hotel next to the train line and tram line at Edinburgh Park.

Pros
Nice pool and steam room and a modern gym
Convenient location for out of town/getting into town

Cons
For a new hotel, I would have expected my room to be in working order, but broken handles on the door, unable to close and lock the veranda viewing area (premier room) really is poor in a hotel less than a year old.
Internet is terribly slow - unable to stream material from work server and download speeds are a joke. it took 1 minute just to open up tripadvisor.com
Bathtub/shower combination was surprising in a new hotel. Bathtub is incredibly slippy and if I were old or unstable, could have fallen and hurt myself. No bath mat was provided.
Inbuilt tv system doesn't recognise people who have access to material from people who do not, so charges for everything.
Noisy hallways - door slamming during the night woke me up several times
Pillows were surprisingly lumpy and uncomfortable

For the price tag, I was very disappointed. I am a loyal Accor member and frequently stay at their hotels and this hotel was very disappointing.

Room Tip: Don't upgrade to the premier rooms
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Gary M
Thank you for your recent review of Novotel Edinburgh Park. We are sorry your stay wasn't to your satisfaction. We have taken all your points and will be acting on them immediately. Our Duty Manager is available 24/7 for any feedback so that our guests can leave the hotel fully satisfied that their problems have been resolved.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here for the 2nd time last Sunday and can only describe the hotel as fandab. From the moment we checked in to the moment we left, the service was first class. As for the hotel itself, that too is first class. Excellent sized rooms with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom and shower were modern and spacious. Free toiletries too.The hotel has a fitness suite and a decent sized pool. Did not have dinner at the hotel but the choice of food at the buffet breakfast was plentiful and freshly cooked. beer prices at the bar are cheaper than a lot of Edinburgh pubs. The tram and rail stops are about 150 yards from the hotel and the service is frequent. This hotel is a hidden gem and I would recommend it very highly.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Edwardo57B
ManagerNovotelEP, Guest Relations Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Park, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you very much for choosing to stay with us at Novotel Edinburgh Park. Your recommendation is very much appreciated and we hope your review helps our future guests. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2014

We booked it for two nights last week and was travelling with 2 kids. On day of arrival as we entered the room it was too hot , when checked there was no ac in room but was air blower even that was not working , when informed about it manager said oh it might be switched off from outside so maintainance guys came and they also brought one table fan. We went outside for dinner and when came back to the room was still terribly hot since i was too tired just went to bed but the sound was too much from air blower unit fitted in room funny thing is that this so called ac unit can not be switched off by you as room occupent i tried too hard to sleep but gave up finally called room service in night at 2 and requested to switch it off after 10 min it got off so i opened the window but since room was next to road too much of sound from outside. Finally i must have so tired slept at around 4.vnext day since we had to go to zoo so had to get up early came nack in the evening and requested to change the room . But manager said our maintainance guys checked it it should be ok . But when i entered it was switched off after calling 3 times at reception it got turned on and was still making too much of noice. And when told about it some visit our room and told this is normal noice and no point in changing the room. But suppose i was too tired after no sleep previois night and full day in zoo and by luck it rained and wheather was not that hot in the evening and asked to switch the unit off . But i feel i booked hotel so that i can relax but could not sleep if in premier in they would give you refund of ur money if you dont get good night sleep can we expect the same from novotel.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your recent review. I am sorry your stay with us was not to your satisfaction. Our Maintenance team are working hard to eradicate any problems with our Air Cooling system. At Novotel Edinburgh Park we take all our guest feedback very seriously and thankyou for your patience.
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is our favourite place to stay as a family and our children always have a wonderful time here. The small swimming pool is ideal for learning to swim in as it is warm and shallow and it has made our kids much better swimmers. They seem to be more confident in this type of pool than their local pool.

The location of this hotel is excellent as it is right next to the motorway and easy to get to. Once you are there you can dump your car in the car park and walk about 200 yards to get the tram into Edinburgh centre which is only about 10 mins away. A family pass is only £7.50 which is valid most of the day and you can get on and off as often as you like. No need to worry about traffic or parking spaces!

The staff are very friendly and helpful and always present the kids with a toy to play with for free.

We always have a queen room which has a large bed and a sofa bed for the kids. The room is quite cramped and the bathroom door does not have a lock which is not ideal with 4 people sharing.
Another thing to mention is that there is no air conditioning and it actually gets quite uncomfortable over the summer months as the windows do not open very wide. We always request a fan in the room and this makes it bearable on hot nights.

Across the road there is a KFC restaurant and drive through and a Krispy Kreme donut shop. About 400 yards away is a large retail park with various shops and a large Tesco which is very handy.

Price wise, this is not a cheap hotel although you can get late deals if you shop around or if you become a member of the Accor hotels group, you also get special offers. The dinner menu is very expensive but the food is very good. They also have a pancake machine at breakfast which is awesome!

I would thoroughly recommend this hotel to stay in, especially if you have children as they will have a great time.

Room Tip: Ask for a fan to be left in your room in the summer months.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your recent review. We are so pleased you have stayed here 5 times and we look forward to welcoming you again and again. Our Pancake machine is proving to be a massive hit with our breakfast guests. I will pass on your comments to our staff, thank you.