“Barmy breakfast bust up was no joke!”

Novotel Edinburgh Park
Ranked #79 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Barmy breakfast bust up was no joke!”
Reviewed 3 September 2014 via mobile

During a visit to Edinburgh I stayed at the Novotel Edinburgh Park on a room only basis as breakfast was £13.95 per person. As I am a veggie am daughter a vegan we thought it would be cheaper to eat in town... anyway on checking in we were informed breakfast was actually £7.95...

After a long foot slog round town that day we decided that probably it was best to have breakfast in the hotel before attending the Uni open day. The next morning I went to reception and asked to be upgraded to breakfast and did they want paying now or on check out.. "on check out just tell the restaurant staff you have spoken to us'... which I did and was duly seated promptly offered coffee, I went and got my food from the buffet and was half way through what was an enjoyable meal; when a member of staff came to our table and informed me I hadn't paid.. I explained what had happened, again I was told I hadn't paid for the breakfast, quite loudly and to be honest I was slightly embarrassed about all the fuss. I left my breakfast half eaten and accompanied the member of staff to reception, who informed me that they didn't have a swipe of my debit card and as such I had not paid... exasperated by now I reminded them that I had just offered to pay and that I was told it would be sorted at check out 'no' you must pay now... so we went back to the restaurant to pay only to be charged £13.95 per person... steadily losing my will to live I explained what I was told at check in, again another debacle ensued whilst a supervisor was called... eventually being charged the correct amount, no apology though: 20 minutes had passed since I had left my meal which was now stone cold... appetite gone and in a foul mood for the rest of the mornings.

This level of customer service and communication would make an excellent entry in next years comedy festival.

Stayed September 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank John M
Louise M, Room Divisions Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Park, responded to this review, 30 September 2014
Thank you for letting us know of the problems you had while staying at Novotel Edinburgh Park. We can only apologise and will take all your comments on board for improving our customer relations.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 September 2014

The hotel is very conveniently located for travel to Edinburgh by car. Parking is readily available and access to the tram (and Edinburgh Park Rail Station) is excellent. The surrounding area is a total wasteland designed only for motor car users. However, if you are desperate there are nearby stores such as TK-MAXX and Tesco - just keep a sharp lookout when crossing the roads! We didn't have breakfast at the hotel - plenty of places in Edinburgh at sensible prices and there's a Crusty Creme place opposite if that's your thing! The hotel staff were helpful, the rooms were fine and the showers are great (especially for teenage boys to play with the electronic controls). The restaurant food looked OK - but we ate in the City.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review of Novotel Edinburh Park. We are pleased your sons loved the technology of the shower.
Torquay, Australia
Reviewed 2 September 2014

We loved the service at the restaurant at dinner our first night and thoroughly enjoyed our meal, especially the steak. The room is spacious and clean, shower is awesome though not loving the mint colour on the walls of the bathroom. Breakfast was delicious; especially loved that espresso was included! Tram station was so convenient and parking for our car was free. Would come again.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review of Novotel Edinburgh Park. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back very soon.
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We stayed here for 5 nights.The hotel is in a very good location with 10 minutes by train or 25 minutes by tram to the city centre If you buy your tram and bus ticket to the centre for the family I suggest you buy 1 day ticket for 7.50 for up 2 adults and up to 3 childrens age 2 to 16 .It 's such a good value for money.The hotel room is nicely decorated with remote control power shower and little fridge as well.The gym is also good for a quick work out and the swimming pool although it's very small but It's not deep only 1.20 metre ,It keep our childrens entertain for hours of fun.The buffet breakfast were very good too with a lots of selection to chose from.The only down side was the room was extremely warm day and night like you have your own sauna in your bedroom .It's so uncomfortable ,we did't mention it to the staff until later apart from that we enjoy our stay.

Room Tip: The room facing retail park is very good
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Novotel Edinburgh Park. We do hope you will return in the very near future.
Hexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Stayed for just one night. Its in a great location with a train and tram service direct to central Edinburgh just two minutes walk from the hotel door. Its close to the ring-road loop as well so you can get on your way very quickly in the morning as well. Rooms are very nice, decent beds and the rooms are a good size and all in all its very good indeed. Other good things - the gym is remarkably good for a hotel, with decent kit and so on, theres also a reasonable sized swimming pool too. Free car parking on site as well. Price was decent given that the central hotels hike their prices to an astronomical level during the festival.

Downside, well just the heating/cooling system. I'm all for green energy systems but this one is a wrong 'un. It made such a racket that I tried turning it off, it wouldn't. Every time I switched it off it waited a few minutes and came back on. At 2am I decided that calling reception would be better than smashing the control box off the wall in a rage (!) they came and turned it off from somewhere outide my room. Meant I had to leave the window open for cooling, and even though the room faced the railway line it was quiet enough, certainly between about midnight and 6am.

Room Tip: Its not a major issue, but ask for a room at the front facing the KFC, I suspect thats the quietest...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Thank you choosing to stay with us at Novotel Edinburgh Park. We do apologise for any inconvience caused by the Air cooling unit. We do hope you will return in the near future.
Airdrie, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My boyfriend and I always choose to stay at this hotel anytime we go through to Edinburgh for an overnight stay.
The hotel itself has lovely decor and is always kept very clean, the rooms have super comfy beds and the most amazing shower. It is located a two second walk from Edinburgh park train station which is two stops away from the City Centre (and also right next to the new trams now i believe) and also has a large Tesco, Decathalon, and other convenient stores right across the street, with a KFC and Krispy Kreme donuts also being right on the door step.
The hotel is good value for money as prices are never too high due to it not being in the city centre and the buffet breakfast is also good if you can get a good price although wouldn't pay for it separately as its over £10pp, when you could simply walk over to tesco and get a hot meal for a fraction of the price.
The pool area is great, usually nice and quiet, and has a steam room, sauna and jacuzzi situated around it. The gym is small although has the necessary equipment and is also located beside the pool with glass walls separating them so quite handy if you had to watch your kids in the pool area while you worked out.
All the staff in the hotel are extremely friendly and will do their very best to accommodate any requests, as a few times we have been upgraded to an executive suite on arrival for either an extra £15 or no cost at all!

Definitely recommend this hotel for any visitors to Edinburgh!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your recent review of Novotel Edinburgh Park. We do appreciate your kind words and look forward to seeing you again very soon.