“Friendly staff but quality of food sorely lacking”
Review of Bar Napoli

Bar Napoli
Ranked #480 of 2,478 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Gualeguaychu, Argentina
“Friendly staff but quality of food sorely lacking”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

This restaurant has been around for decades. One would hope this would mean good food but unfortunately this is not the case.

The place seems to have gone down the fusion route, as the pizza tastes more like a fresh variant of Tesco's frozen pizzas rather than what you would eat in Italy. The oven is electric rather than log-fired, which means everything else has to be spot on in order for the pizza to be semi-decent. However, the pizza base is absolutely banal, could come ready-made out of a packet for all I know. Tomato topping was cheap and nasty, and salami was the kind you get in a Scottish supermarket, not an Italian pizzeria.

I last went here about 20 years ago and left feeling cheated. Having once again decided to give it a try, I think it will take another 20 years before I even think about going back.

3 Thank 123boh

• Korean first
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Would recommend!”
Reviewed 26 June 2014

After visiting Bar Napoli on a busy Saturday night we were very impressed. We were pleased with the service, and the food was excellent!

No complaints from us. Great food at great prices.

1 Thank JS280912
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice place to eat”
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I and my friend had just done some shopping and decided to have something to eat as we were passing by we have noticed couple of free table outside and we sat down. We were quickly approached by the waiter who took our drink order. Drinks arrived on time and we ordered just the main course. The meal was good and service was just with the right balance. I would come back to try more.

• Visited May 2014
Muir of Ord, United Kingdom
“Rude Manageress - 'we need to understand they are busy!!'”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Where do I start.... I could write a book. Terrible from start to finish. Stumbled across this disaster of a place and wish we went to Pizza Express or Bella Italia. It all started after we were served our drinks. Our waitress forgot we existed. Another waiter noticed we were looking for attention to order and kindly took our order. When my starter arrived there was a black hair on the plate (later the Manageress told us she found this strange as all chefs are bald, might add we are both blonde!). Slightly disappointed by the two hiccups, I thought I wouldn't judge just yet, they can redeem themselves with the main. Then our cannelloni arrived as a lasagne (which the Manageress told us it's difficult to tell the difference) and our pizza was nothing special. By the time our fresh cannelloni arrived we had lost our appetites with disappointment. When we requested the bill, it arrived on our table full price! I asked our waitress if we could speak to her Manager and when she spoke with her Manager she approached our table shaking her head! Instant attitude. Never ones to complain, we told her our problems with the meal/whole experience. She instantly got her back up and challenged everything we had to say. She said we had to understand they were busy and the Highland Show was on. God help you love when the Festival is on!!! She very kindly took the cannelloni of our bill. However, I don't even think it was worth that. RUBBISH SERVICE, POOR QUAITY FOOD, DISRESPECTFUL MANAGERESS!!!!! This restaurant has potential, from what I gathered, most of their staff were Italian which was really authentic. Looking back, we would've been better getting a Dominoes Pizza delivered to our room. I would suggest the owner looks into some customer service courses for his/her staff. Spoke with a barman the following day and he said this place has a terrible reputation and attracts drunks in the early hours of the morning.... says it all really.........

2 Thank Jemba_83
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Used to love it, not any more”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Have had a fabulous meal on each visit to Edinburgh previously. Usually go to town, and have 3 courses, with coffee and a bottle of wine....all off the full price menu - not special offers, and usually spend quite a bit of money. Made a beeline on this trip expecting the same wonderfull experience of past visits. Arrived 10 minutes after opening. There was a couple at one table in the middle of the restaurant, and a family with young children sat at the back. It was a hot day, and I wanted to sit at one of the empty tables near the door to enjoy the cool air, but was told rather rudely that I could not sit there. We were taken to a table at the back and were told we must sit there - at the table next to the family. I asked again about sitting at the front, and was just ignored. At this point, I turned round and walked out. We went to another restaurant and spent over £80. Can a small business afford to turn away business like this? Apparantly so!! Won't be back.

1 Thank A S