Bar Napoli
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I lived in Edinburgh from 2001 to 2005 and have experienced many of the restaurants there - this one is by far the best I have encountered. Every time I come back to Edinburgh, I return to this restaurant.

The quality and range of food is superb (obviously mostly all Italian though) and the price is incredibly cheap for Edinburgh. The service is a little bit variable, but always friendly and quite Italian!

The chefs are flexible, and if you want to alter your meal in some way they are usually quite accommodating.

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 February 2009

the lunch time deal in here is fantastic. The restaurant is typical italian decor & great service usually. but the food has notbeen as good recently

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 22 December 2008

Enjoyed the Tagliatelle Bar Napoli and the Tiramisu on a recent visit to this busy restaurant that is well located in the New Town.

I sat at a table near the door, but did not find this an inconvenience, the heat from the cooking activity more than compensated for any drafts.

The staff were friendly and patient as we took our time to first arrive and then decide on what we were eating.

Reviewed 21 December 2008

Considering the credit crunch and choice of other restaurants in Edinburgh, you might think that Bar Napoli would be keen to attract repeat business. It would seem not.

Our group of 6 arrived at 10pm on a Saturday night. The restaurant was not particularly busy.

We attempted to order a bottle of wine for the table but were told that it was not chilled. We ordered other drinks to give them time to chill the wine - unfortunately the two beers in this order were also warm.

One girl wanted a straw for her drink - the waiter advised that they 'might have a straw left'. Oddly, five minutes after our drinks arrived, another waiter came to force straws upon the rest of us.

We were seated at a long table near the door. As we were cold, I tried to ask a member of staff if we could move to warmer area. Three members of staff were standing around, when I finally got their attention, I was told with a sneer that a waiter would be with me shortly. Five minutes later I managed to grab a passing waiter and we were moved to a wobbly table at the back.

Our food arrived and shortly after that we managed to get cutlery. The attitude of the staff seemed to be that they had better things to do than serve us.

Once we had eaten our acceptable but unimpressive meals, we asked them to cancel the wine as it had still not appeared. A quick trip to the ladies room (5 cubicles, two with toilet roll, one of which with a door which would not close properly) and we paid, got our change and left, never to return again.

Bad attitude, unimpressive food, none of the smiles and banter one would normally associate with an Italian restaurant.

I would strongly advise going elsewhere - certainly, no-one from our group will be returning to this poor excuse for a restaurant.

1  Thank jem82
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
Reviewed 10 January 2008

This place is open until 3am+ in weekends. Carbonara is a firm favourite with many of us especially at that time in the morning!

Thank A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook