“Avoid”

Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 29 August 2009

We had an awful dining experience in Bar Napoli tonight.

We were in there about three hours trying to have a quick meal having arrived at 7.30pm but not being served our main course until after 10pm.

Upon being seated we ordered bruscetta which never arrived. Our starters took an hour to arrive. We ordered a second round of drinks which were forgotten about. We were then brought different drinks without being consulted, as they had run out of the drinks we ordered. Our main course was another hour and one of the dishes was wrong. One member of our party had to leave because she was so hungry. This completely took over our evening, when we originally had other plans for after the meal.

Of course the waiter was aware of the situation, but at the end of our meal we brought this to the attention of the manager, who said there was nothing he could do as we had not told him earlier so it must have been fine. He explained that most other people had a good experience that evening and that sometimes things go wrong for some tables and we just have to accept that. He didn’t say sorry or acknowledge that it was unacceptable. He had a complete disregard for customer service and didn’t care that we’d had a bad evening.

AVOID AVOID AVOID BAR NAPOLI. I will not be returning and I will be actively advising others to do the same.

4  Thank EdinburghRuth

Reviewed 27 August 2009

I've always liked a good basic Italian retaurant. You can't go far wrong...except with Bar Napoli. The food here was terrible. The Pizza was soggy and undercooked. The wine was warm and nasty. They only sold one house white by the glass. The waiter was surly and completely unhelpful. The place was busy but sells truly terrible food.

2  Thank johnnymelly
Reviewed 13 August 2009

We visited this restaurant on August 7th, just at the outset of the festival. On the way in one of the passing waiters spilled the dregs of a bottle of beer over me with no apology. We were shown to a table for two which had approximately two inches of space either side of it. It's quite clear that this place likes to pack 'em in and turn over tables quickly. We got well and truly up close and personal with the diners either side of us, not a comfortable experience for any of us. those seated next to the walls had a job getting into their seats and escaping to the bathroom was a feat of contortionism.

My other half was happy with his meal. I ordered canneloni which arrived dry and overcooked. The pasta was stuck to the bottom of the dish and the tomato sauce had dried to a brown colour. I was unable to eat most of this, something the waiter neglected to note as he cleared the plates. When I pointed out to him that it was dry, bland and that the meat had the consistency of dog food his response was simply that this is the way that they cook it. There was no offer of a replacement dish or any sort of concession. This is a totally unacceptable response, especially in the current economic climate. Keep that up Bar Napoli and you will be yet another casualty of this recession.

3  Thank Driad
Reviewed 10 August 2009

We arrived about 10.30pm on a weekday night and while the waiter was friendly he was also a bit off putting, he sat down beside us for a long time before even taking our order.

The menu in the place is massive approx 300 items which always worries me because I'd rather see them do a few things very well than try and do tons of things averagely, in fairness to them I had the pizza and it was very good and fairly priced

The biggest downfall I had of the evening though was the wine, which came in a quite naff water jug, I don't know did we just get an off bottle but it was honestly the most disgusting wine I've ever drank in my life, I think we took a sip each and had to leave the rest, we probably would have given it back if there had been a waiter anywhere near us, but we ended up just paying and getting out of there as quick as possible

1  Thank falloni
Reviewed 9 July 2009

I lived in Edinburgh from 2001 to 2005 and have experienced many of the restaurants there - this one is by far the best I have encountered. Every time I come back to Edinburgh, I return to this restaurant.

The quality and range of food is superb (obviously mostly all Italian though) and the price is incredibly cheap for Edinburgh. The service is a little bit variable, but always friendly and quite Italian!

The chefs are flexible, and if you want to alter your meal in some way they are usually quite accommodating.