“Great lunch”

Ranked #450 of 2,597 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$27 - US$67
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: Blending European brasserie dishes and timelessly elegant surroundings, Browns Bar and Brasserie Edinburgh champions an informal yet refined concept. Renowned for indulgent twists on classic comfort food recipes, Browns has offered trademark favourites since 1973, as well as choices from the specials board or the market fresh fish of the day. Showcasing striking design features and historic or listed buildings, Browns restaurants are a refined yet relaxed dining spot, at any time of the day.
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our taxi driver recommended Browns and it was close to our hotel. Lovely place with gorgeousness photographs on the walls. I just wanted a bite so I got a tasty mushroom appetizer. My spouse tried the bubble and squeak. The lunch portions are just right, but I think he could have eaten more!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,370)

Reviewed 25 June 2014

In stark contrast to our excellent meal at Vittoria, our dinner at Browns was very disappointing. The service was at best average, taking 20 minutes to serve two glasses of wine and the meal was not much more than overpriced fast food.

The cost was the only striking thing - one course with a glass of wine cost the same as two courses, wine and coffee at Vittoria and the latter was head and shoulders better in quality. We used to eat at Browns when we lived in Edinburgh four years ago but something has definitely changed for the worse. Very average!!

2  Thank Trevor E
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We like Brown's Oxford, Brown's Cardiff and this second visit to Brown's Edinburgh. Food and service excellent. Prices higher than in Cardiff or Oxford but probably justified in such a fine city. Atmosphere busy, lively and friendly. Menu offers good choice. The only problem is allowing smokers under the awning outside the front door so that smokers' fumes get carried into the restaurant on days when the door is left open. This needs dealing with.

Reviewed 16 June 2014 via mobile

Only came here for the brunch menu yesterday and I have to say I was extremely impressed with the service. Was very quick. The food was good but nothing spectacular. I had the scrambled egg and smoked salmon of which there was a good helping. I did see someone order a late breakfast which I have to say didn't look very large.

But all in all I was quite happy with the food and service.

Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Came to Browns for brunch whilst down in Edinburgh for my birthday, my sister and I both ordered the Eggs benedict with ham.

The hollandaise was far too thick and they were served with bacon instead of ham which I have never experienced, fatty bacon at that.

Not overly impressed and the service was slow.

2  Thank Aberdeen1990