“Great place”

Ranked #425 of 2,556 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$27 - US$68
Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: Blending European brasserie dishes and timelessly elegant surroundings, Browns Bar and Brasserie Edinburgh champions an informal yet refined concept. Renowned for indulgent twists on classic comfort food recipes, Browns has offered trademark favourites since 1973, as well as choices from the specials board or the market fresh fish of the day. Showcasing striking design features and historic or listed buildings, Browns restaurants are a refined yet relaxed dining spot, at any time of the day.
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

Great place. We were here for the & dessert... E'thing was fabulous and at the correct price
The kids were happy. The parents too!!
Fantastico

There are newer reviews for Browns Brasserie & Bar

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I've been here a few times now and I have to say that this last time the service was awful though the food was good, so the chefs absolutely let down tonight.
I was taken to my table by a young lady who then just left me for 15 minutes, no one asked me if I wanted a drink let alone order my meal! Eventually I caught her eye, she said nothing, just got someone to serve me, what her role was goodness only knows!
My starter came and was pretty good, I got scallops, I have to say the dish was cool.I then waited for what felt like an eternity, no one asked me if I wanted another drink (which I did) and eventually after at least 20 minutes my main arrived, I have to say it was very good.
Overall food good but really let down by poor service......

2  Thank toyotaverso
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Our taxi driver recommended Browns and it was close to our hotel. Lovely place with gorgeousness photographs on the walls. I just wanted a bite so I got a tasty mushroom appetizer. My spouse tried the bubble and squeak. The lunch portions are just right, but I think he could have eaten more!

Reviewed 25 June 2014

In stark contrast to our excellent meal at Vittoria, our dinner at Browns was very disappointing. The service was at best average, taking 20 minutes to serve two glasses of wine and the meal was not much more than overpriced fast food.

The cost was the only striking thing - one course with a glass of wine cost the same as two courses, wine and coffee at Vittoria and the latter was head and shoulders better in quality. We used to eat at Browns when we lived in Edinburgh four years ago but something has definitely changed for the worse. Very average!!

2  Thank Trevor E
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We like Brown's Oxford, Brown's Cardiff and this second visit to Brown's Edinburgh. Food and service excellent. Prices higher than in Cardiff or Oxford but probably justified in such a fine city. Atmosphere busy, lively and friendly. Menu offers good choice. The only problem is allowing smokers under the awning outside the front door so that smokers' fumes get carried into the restaurant on days when the door is left open. This needs dealing with.