“Great service as ever mediocre Steak Pie” 4 of 5 bubbles

Browns Brasserie & Bar
Ranked #382 of 2,437 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$25 - US$62
Cuisines: Bar, European, British, Scottish, International
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Child-friendly, Kids, Bar Scene
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: Blending European brasserie dishes and timelessly elegant surroundings, Browns Bar and Brasserie Edinburgh champions an informal yet refined concept. Renowned for indulgent twists on classic comfort food recipes, Browns has offered trademark favourites since 1973, as well as choices from the specials board or the market fresh fish of the day. Showcasing striking design features and historic or listed buildings, Browns restaurants are a refined yet relaxed dining spot, at any time of the day.
Pitlochry, United Kingdom
“Great service as ever mediocre Steak Pie”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

As ever the service was excellent. A minor issue was quickly resolved when my daughter in law was given the wrong order - burger instead of Shoulder of Lamb. However I had the steak pie which was just on the right side of acceptable. Nice pastry, lovely gravy, diced carrot and to my surprise celery. The main disappointment was only six pieces of meat one of which was a bit tough. This essentially was a vegetable pie with a few pieces of meat not a steak pie. Will I be back - absolutely because I'm sure this was a glitch. The waitress Karen was excellent.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

England
“Service disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

Food acceptable, garnish wilted why bother putting cold garnish onto a warm plate it is unlikely to look appetising. We sat outside BIG mistake. Smokers congregate in the entrance so all food passes through a 'smoke' channel before arriving at your table. Unfortunately a seagull passed over and deposited its waste on me, a risk you take when sitting outside, however the waitress who was delivering our drinks at the of the incident didn't acknowledge the incident, I am sure she must have witnessed this before, we had to ask for cutlery and napkins to be changed etc, . When taking our order the waitress didn't even come to the table she leant over the balustrade - maybe I am picky but surely greeting customers is part of the job when you work in the service industry. I have had better service in cafés . I certainly would not eat here again. My husband and I differ on the matter of tips, he always tips cos the staff are often only on minimum wage, I only tip if service is up to scratch, last night no tip was left, though the tip for restaurant improve your staff . They are letting you down tip for the waitress change your career you clearly do not enjoy or are interested in your current one. Cross that we ate here

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank smudge61
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Nice for an aperitif”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

We went there on a Tuesday evening for a pre-dinner drink. Outside was busy, so we elected to sit indoors, which was much quieter. Service was quick and efficient (we had Prosecco) and the ambience was very relaxed which suited our mood.

Decoratively it was nice enough without trying to be overwhelming with its 'authenticity'.

We'll go back from time to time.

Hexham, United Kingdom
“Poor experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2014

Booked Browns for an early evening family meal on 20th July for 10 the evening before a family funeral the next day.

The table wasn't ready when we arrived at 6.30 pm despite the restaurant being empty.

Took an hour to be served our first course.

Only one waitress, who was pleasant enough, was assigned to our table. The main courses didn't all come at once. There were other minor service issues.

My brother asked for fries rather than chunky chips. They didn't arrive with his meal but we were brought later and we were charged for chips as well.

12 ½ % optional added to bill for service which we just didn't get; we would have much better service if we had been a couple. I just paid the £36 service so as not to cause a scene. On another occasion I would have certainly asked to give the GM a personal consumer perception. Happy to do so if he or she wants

On my experience I would recommend that you avoid at all costs if you are more than four.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank stobgarbh
Canada
“Too High Expectations?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

This was the goodbye dinner for the fabulous small group from our coach tour. We had dined in many lovely restaurants all over Ireland and Scotland, so I was expecting something very special. My prawn salad was uninspired, my fish cakes were fine, and the kitchen was out of one of the two desserts on our menu giving us a choice between two chocolate desserts. Some might not see that as a problem, but not everyone loves chocolate! The restaurant was very noisy (not because of us!) and we could barely converse with our dinner companions at our table for four. Staff were pleasant and promptly refilled wine glasses, but overall, based on food and the ambiance promised by the decor, the restaurant was a bit of a disappointment.

3 Thank Twomaples