“Fantastic ”

Cuisines: European, Steakhouse, Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: At The Cellar Door we are passionate about Scottish cuisine. Scotland has a rich cultural heritage and a strong sense of national identity, and we believe that its food is at the heart of that heritage. From the famous to the familiar, we endeavour to put a modern twist on traditional dishes and flavours to create something new and unique. Scotland's lands and lochs provide some of the finest ingredients in the world, and we are committed to using only fresh local produce from our trusted suppliers as the starting point for our menu. Our chefs create new meat and fish dishes every day to give our customers a taste of Scotland that is truly special. We also carry a wide range of malt whiskies and local ales for the full Scottish experience. The restaurant is situated in an old printing press and has been newly refurbished to give our customers a sense of history in a warm and welcoming environment. After all, it is not only food that makes Scotland great; its hospitality is famed the world over. Whether you have travelled from Brechin or Beijing, our staff will always make you feel right at home. We are happy to cater for parties of up to sixty for private hire of the restaurant and will work with your party to create a menu that suits your tastes, budgets and dietary requirements. The Cellar Door is pleased to offer new team-building workshops, which include chocolate-making and a two or three course meal as well as a variety of group activities.
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Amazing food! Great service and wish we'd booked here again instead of The Honours!
Great setting, warm, friendly & attentive staff! Lorna took time to chat even though run off her feet. Fantastic Crème brûlée! Definitely a must for every visit to Edinburgh!

1  Thank Scottishjoker
thecellardoor44-46, Owner at The Cellar Door, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2014

Thank you very much for your fantastic review!
We are so happy you enjoyed the full experience on your recent visit and we hope we will see you again soon!
The Cellar Door Team.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We dropped in here looking for lunch as many restaurants were overflowing due to the Fringe and Tattoo. The restaurant is down a steep flight of steps and quite crowded with tables, which would cause issues for anyone with access difficulties, but the room is clean and bright with large windows and very high ceilings.

We didn't have a booking and the place was very busy, but we were kindly squeezed in beside another table under the 'vault' area.

The staff were lovely, polite and attentive- unfortunately they were also run off their feet so service was a little bit slow. We were in no rush but I could see a few office workers getting a bit anxious.

We had the haddock with the ubiquitous chips and mashed peas (very nice, the tartare also had finely diced raw shallot, which was tangy and addictive) and the plaice with herbed linguine from the set menu. The total bill was less than £40 including a bottle of the house white (Chilean).

Overall, highly recommended if you're not in a hurry and want to try something that's slightly off the Royal Mile.

thecellardoor44-46, Owner at The Cellar Door, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review.
Firstly I would like to say thanks so much for the kind comments about your food and our staff.
Yes, they probably were rushed off their feet as we have had an extremely busy festival but I am proud to know they still had the time to be polite and attentive.
We are passionate about serving fresh local produce made to order, sometimes this may take a little longer in the busy periods but I am happy it did not detract from your experience.
Regards,
The Cellar Door.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

On a fairly quiet afternoon I visited this restaurant with my mum and stepdad. We ordered their set menu which was very reasonable.
I had the haggis bon bons to start, which were a bit dry but the excellent oaty coating more than made up for that. I followed this with the mussels which were served in a lovely light white wine sauce. Much nicer than the far too rich sauces you usually get.
Why only 3 stars you say? Well, I'll tell you. My mum ordered desert instead of a starter. 30 mins after our plates were cleared after our mains, still no desert. The waitress came over to ask if we'd like desert to which we said we'd already ordered one. She said she'd check with the kitchen. She didn't.....
Anyway, long story short the desert finally arrived and nice as it was a quick lunch on a quiet day ended up lasting almost two hours!
I understand that sometimes in kitchens things go wrong, but it would have cost them nothing to apologise. The fact that they didn't proves that they don't really care. A real shame.

thecellardoor44-46, Owner at The Cellar Door, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you for your review.
Firstly I would like to say we are happy you enjoyed your food.
We are passionate about great food but we also feel it should go hand in hand with great service.
Obviously we failed to deliver on this occasion.
I agree, it is a real shame you did not receive an apology for the mix up with the dessert so I would like to say for this we are deeply sorry.
We really do care and this type of thing saddens me as I feel we could have turned this situation around before you left.
We hope you will give us another chance in the future.
The Cellar Door Team.

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We ate here our first night in town. Needed a place with great food and quiet atmosphere. This was it. They also introduced me to my new favorite cider. Thanks so much. The new waitress was great too...just wish I could remember name!

Thank you very much for the great comments in your 5 star review.
We are very happy you enjoyed your visit.
We are passionate about serving Scottish ciders and beers along with our local produce so we are glad you liked it.
Cheers!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We went for lunch during the Fringe, nice small restaurant with main seating downstairs, also set price lunch menu, we were taken to a small table, drink order taken and although the staff were nice the time that meals took to arrive was a disgrace. It took over 1 hour for our starters to arrive, a table nearby had waited a similar length of time to wait on bread. I would describe the food as below average, the fish I ordered had a small amount crispy batter at both ends but mainly soggy as if it had been lying in a hot plate. I never returned the meal due to the long wait we had and we had tickets for a show at the fringe. We arrived at 12.40 hrs and the starters didn't arrive until 14.05hrs. I'm unsure why the long timeframe as the restaurant wasn't full. I would not return to this restaurant especially during the busy festival period as it takes so long to be served, maybe they want you to drink more alcohol, over £3 for a small bottle of beer. Maybe on a quiet day it may be better.

thecellardoor44-46, Owner at The Cellar Door, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

We are deeply sorry for your disappointing visit to our restaurant.
You are absolutely right, you shouldn't have had to wait that amount of time on your food and I can totally understand why you have written this review.
I would like to explain about the delays, our till system crashed causing a few problems with kitchen/floor communications and for that we do apologise.
I would also like to apologise for your food, I really do feel that this was a knock on effect from the days events but I certainly take your comments on board.
Just to respond to your last point, I would like everyone to know you are welcome to order as little or as many (within reason!) drinks as you like, even tap water if that's your tipple!
We do hope you will try us again, giving us a chance to restore your faith in The Cellar Door.