“Excellent food and very nice atmosphere”
Review of The Cellar Door

The Cellar Door
Ranked #213 of 2,686 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, Steakhouse, Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Description: At The Cellar Door we are passionate about Scottish cuisine. Scotland has a rich cultural heritage and a strong sense of national identity, and we believe that its food is at the heart of that heritage. From the famous to the familiar, we endeavour to put a modern twist on traditional dishes and flavours to create something new and unique. Scotland's lands and lochs provide some of the finest ingredients in the world, and we are committed to using only fresh local produce from our trusted suppliers as the starting point for our menu. Our chefs create new meat and fish dishes every day to give our customers a taste of Scotland that is truly special. We also carry a wide range of malt whiskies and local ales for the full Scottish experience. The restaurant is situated in an old printing press and has been newly refurbished to give our customers a sense of history in a warm and welcoming environment. After all, it is not only food that makes Scotland great; its hospitality is famed the world over. Whether you have travelled from Brechin or Beijing, our staff will always make you feel right at home. We are happy to cater for parties of up to sixty for private hire of the restaurant and will work with your party to create a menu that suits your tastes, budgets and dietary requirements. The Cellar Door is pleased to offer new team-building workshops, which include chocolate-making and a two or three course meal as well as a variety of group activities.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We went to this restaurant for dinner after the late afternoon ghost tour.
It was cold outside and the warm Scotish food was very welcome!
The Scotish soup was awesome and I had haggis for the first time and really enjoyed it.
The portions were not abundant (I assume they are not meant to be shared), but they were a nice size.
A very good and pleasant experience overall.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,111)

Reviewed 17 May 2018

We had dinner here last night. Way over priced for what we got. I had the lamb for my main course portions were very small. I got the 2 smallest peace of lamb on my plate. A minute later a staff member came to our table to ask us if everything was ok. I very nicely asked the girl could I have a little more mash and a little more lamb. She looked as if I had asked for the impossible. Then a few minutes later the hostess came to our table and asked if there was a problem I said no that I would just like a little more mash and lamb. She said something about portion sizes and I asked again . She returned to our table 10 or 15 minutes later with the mash no lamb making some excuse about the lamb taking 15 minutes to cook. I couldn't believe it. What ever happened to the customer being right and getting what they asked for. If you are hungry and want food don't go there because they won't give it to you. Never ever again would I eat there.

2  Thank 760Margaret
thecellardoor44-46, Owner at The Cellar Door, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We are disappointed to hear you did not enjoy your recent visit to our restaurant and we appologise for this.

After receiving such positive feedback about the lamb dish we were surprised to find it fell short on this occasion.

Our lamb rump is portions by our butchers at 5oz. We feel this size is adequate for the design of the dish. I'm sorry you felt this was not the case.

After raising your concerns to the team they did arrange for extra potato, sweetbread and haggis to accompany your meal.

We believe we tried our best to resolve the matter on the evening and we are sorry you still feel this way. We do take all types of feedback on board and are no way above criticism. We know the customers opinions count.

On a positive note, we were very happy to hear your two companions were completely satisfied and enjoyed their choices.

Regards,

The Cellar Door.

Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

Just of the royal mile, among a large number of restaurants on this street. A bit more easy and simple dinner, the restaurant was airy and did not feel cramped. Setting is one floor down from the street level. We enjoyed some Goats Cheese bon-bons and olives for starter, Lamb Rump and Skottish Venison for main and to end with Cranachan Cheesecake and Selection of Scottish Cheeses with a splash of dessert wine.
Wine selection by glass is ok, and worked ok with the meat dishes.

Reviewed 15 May 2018

My husband and I went in here for dinner because the hostess was outside and asked us if we were looking for a place to eat, which we were, so we went inside. We are so glad we did! The service was outstanding. We had a few very good cocktails here. I ordered the venison and my husband had the lamb special. Both of our meals were perfect. We got very lucky to happen upon this restaurant. Eating gluten free here was very easy too. I highly recommend it.

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your visit.

Hope to see you again soon!

The Cellar Door Team.

Reviewed 10 May 2018 via mobile

Had lunch here today as the owner very kindly let our Westie come in . The fish was outstanding the cheesecake was wow . The staff are so friendly and angus the Westie thanks you for his water . Will definitely return and recommend.

Thank you very much for the review!

We are pleased you enjoyed your visit and we got the paws up from Angus too!

Hope to see you all (including Angus!) soon.

The Cellar Door Team.