“Veggy heaven!”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: Established in 1963, Scotland's first vegetarian restaurant "The Salad Table" is still proudly serving fresh, wholesome and tasty food. Join us for breakfast, lunch or dinner, or visit our deli shop for some takeaway and a loaf from our onsite organic bakery. Our restaurant is set up cafeteria style, offering a relaxed and informal dining experience, featuring live music every night, it's perfect for families, young and old, and still run as Janet Henderson envisioned 53 years ago.
Boston, MA
“Veggy heaven!”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband and I are meat eaters, but enjoy eating healthy on vacation. We found this restaurant in our lonely planet guidebook and everything we got was excellent! I got the crepe special (mushrooms, spinach and cheese in a cream sauce) and my husband got a specialty bean burger. We also had the veggie haggis nachos. Everything was excellent and better than we expected! Delicious!

• Visited May 2014

“Amazing food”
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

Such a lovely little restaurant. Friendly staff. Great atmosphere. Amazing selection of food to choose from. Perfect evening out.

Vancouver, Canada
“great Vegetarian food, but go there during the day now.”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

This used to be, literally, my favourite restaurant in the world, because of the wide range of delicious vegetarian salads and hot meals to choose from. The dishes are all on display (during the day only now!) which you choose by pointing to the combination and quantities that you want of each. There are a range of dressings, organic beers and wines and artisan breads to choose from too.
However, I was utterly dismayed on this visit to the UK - the first in a couple of years - to find they have changed to 'table service' in the evenings, and to my mind, utterly lost the best feature. Everything went wrong: The menu is brown writing on beige paper and was hard to see in the candle light, the extremely limited salad selection was described verbally, although they did invite you to get up and go and look at them as they were still on display. The two dishes my wife wanted were apparently off, although when she went to choose something else, she not only found both of those still available, but some of the larger range of lunchtime salads were still there. So with some complicated negotiations involving running back and forth from the table to the counter and pointing meant she was able to select a meal she wanted from a wider range (completely missing the point of table service; far less effort was involved in queuing for food once at the beginning!). After all that, the meal that arrived for her was not the selection she had ordered, but at this point she shrugged and ate. My own meal arrived with some very dense bread that I hadn't ordered - if I had I would have ordered the rolls they used to do, but were no longer down as an option. My nut roast was over sized and swimming in a bland vegetable sauce - it looked the same as the last time, but was comparatively flavourless. I ordered an ale, and was brought a lager. We sullenly ate in silence and left.
So, utterly disappointed, I won't be going back in the evening again, (and I will miss the routinely excellent live background acoustic music) unless perhaps enough people agree with me that the gem that they had was the wide selection of foods that you could see before ordering and they lose the futile attempt to go up market. I'm still giving it a high rating, but from 'best vegetarian restaurant I've ever been to' its demoted to great cafe to have a vegetarian lunch in.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank MRandHF
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Excellent veggie food”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Really nice place to go for a casual lunch. I had a baked potato with a selection of salads from the salad bar and partner had haggis, neeps and tatties. Both very good and had an excellent slice of cake for afters.

Visited April 2014
“sold!”
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

I am usually not a vegetarian but I was pleasantly surprised to not only not miss the meat but ask myself why I'm not eating vegetarian more often. we had a three course meal which was really a lot and we enjoyed it so much!