“Nostalgia is what it used to be”

Hendersons Salad Table Restaurant
Ranked #537 of 2,478 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$8 - US$18
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: New Town
Description: Established in 1963, Scotland's first vegetarian restaurant "The Salad Table" is still proudly serving fresh, wholesome and tasty food. Join us for breakfast, lunch or dinner, or visit our deli shop for some takeaway and a loaf from our onsite organic bakery. Our restaurant is set up cafeteria style, offering a relaxed and informal dining experience, featuring live music every night, it's perfect for families, young and old, and still run as Janet Henderson envisioned 53 years ago.
Veenendaal, The Netherlands
“Nostalgia is what it used to be”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I now live abroad and returned here for the first time since being pregnant with my (21 year old) son. The food and the charm of the place was as excelllent as ever. I ate their pudding with apples, ginger, dried fruits and creme fraiche and was immediately transported back to many visits there with my now late parents. Wonderful experience.

1 Thank FayAbroad

Marbella, Andalucia, Spain
“An Old Favourite”
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Very good service and choice of hot foods and salads. Pleasant waiters. I did feel it has lost some of its charm and seemed a little tired on the décor side.

Southport
“Horrible risotto and untrained staff”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

We visited Henderson's recently for dinner having had coffee there earlier in the week. While most of the food was OK at the price the risotto had obviously been made in a batch at the start of the evening with one or two ingredients added to order. As a result it was a mushy mess. My wife couldn't eat it. The waiter obviously noticed it and ignored us. No "is everything OK?". Even when we asked for the bill he just went to take the virtually full plate of food away without any comment. When we said we weren't going to pay for the risotto he just said no-one else had complained and didn't offer any apology. They really should provide some professional training if they are going to have table service for dinner.

1 Thank RohanFan
Bethesda, Maryland
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Being a vegetarian, it’s always such a thrill to find a vegetarian restaurant on my travels. I wanted to love this place, but I’m afraid I didn’t. The people behind the counter were not very friendly or helpful about describing what some of the things were. I went with 3 others to the cafeteria style place and only had two salads. One was tasty and I couldn’t eat the other. It’s not all that easy to make vegetables into something I don’t like. I tasted my husband’s lasagna which was ok. My scone for dessert was fine, if ordinary. The place was crowded so we ate at the tiny table outside. We were told the menu was to change that evening, and one of the people I ate with went back to try the Bistro. He seemed pleased. Maybe it was an off day. I had no interest in going back.

Petersfield, United Kingdom
“Cafe trying to be a restaurant”
Reviewed 28 July 2014 via mobile

Went here for dinner. Really wanted to like it having heard so much about it. However the service was terrible. The usual cafe style atmosphere was manifested in the really casual and uncertain service. It was also amazingly slow. The food was very mixed. Some was great and other bits were very bland. Good was the Baba Ganoush and the Satay not good was potato cakes and the bean burger