“hotel bar that is surprisingly reasonable”
Review of Monboddo

Monboddo
Reserve with OpenTable
Monboddo is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,156 of 2,528 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$6 - US$14
Cuisines: Scottish, British, Bar
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: West End
San Antonio, Texas
“hotel bar that is surprisingly reasonable”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Monboddo is attached to the Doubletree in central Edinburgh. Prices were reasonable, there was a good selection on the menu and the service was outstanding. Not a lot of local character to the place - it's a hotel bar not a pub, although it was well appointed. Attracts a business crowd after work and can get a bit crowded around 5 pm. Not a huge beer selection but the bartenders were great with the mixed drinks. Would not recommend this place unless you are staying at the hotel but if you are it is perfectly pleasant.

Visited May 2014
2 Thank Cliff J
CSIEdin, Manager at Monboddo, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to review your visit to Monboddo, during your recent visit to Edinburgh.

I am pleased to read that you found it to be good value for money, and were pleased the the selection available on the menu. Thank you, in particular, for your comments about the 'outstanding' service: your feedback has been passed on to the team, who work very hard to ensure every guest throughly enjoys their visit.

We hope to welcome you back to Monboddo on your next visit to the city.

Kind regards

DoubleTree by Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Turkish first
scotland
“Monboddo - what a lovely surprise”
Reviewed 12 April 2014

We discovered this newly refurbished café/restaurant in a part of town full of cafes and restaurant. It's close to The Usher Hall and Edinburgh Castle. The furnishings of couches, chairs, sofas and banquettes are luxurious. The sign outside for Coffee and Cake at £2.50 drew us in, hoping for no more than a quick refreshment and a rest, but we were really impressed at the excellent coffee and ultra fresh muffins, made daily in the kitchen. The menu for the rest of the day and evening looked very good and very price friendly. Soup and bread £3.00. It is licensed too of course. The waiter Gordon was helpful and informative and made us feel welcome. I am going to recommend this place to my family - and please be assured I don't have shares in the place, it's genuinely an unbiased review!

• Visited April 2014
1 Thank 312wync
CSIEdin, Manager at Monboddo, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the opportunity to review your recent visit to Monboddo bar. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your visit with us so much, and found both our £2.50 coffee and cake offer, and full menu, to be such great value for money.

With our close proximity to both the Usher Hall and the Lyceum Theatre, we are in a fantastic location for pre- and post-theatre offerings, whether it be for a cocktail, and coffee or a freshly prepared bar meal.

Thank you also for your comments regarding the service you received from Gordon, which have been fed-back to him: we pride ourselves in providing a professional, friendly service and I am delighted to see that we have delivered this.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Monboddo in the near future.

Your sincerely

DoubleTree by Hilton
Durham, United Kingdom
“Was expecting much better.”
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Called in for the advertised lunch special of sandwich, fries and drink for £5. Elected for the curried chicken in mayo (sounded great but was actually just coronation chicken), with the fries and a soft drink. Several of my fries and part of the sandwich filling were dropped by the waitress as she arrived at the table, with no apology or clean up. No salt or vinegar offered had to go and hunt them down myself.

After I'd finished I waited 5 or so minutes but nobody came with the bill, so I went and stood at the bar for around 10 minutes and was ignored for part of it and for the rest of the time there was nobody present so I had to go into the main restaurant and ask the receptionist if she could take my money. She went and found a waiter who eventually came several minutes later and snatched my money without a word.

Very poor service, I expect much better.

• Visited April 2014
TreeEdinburgh, Manager at Monboddo, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Dear mallyduk

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience in Monboddo. I am so disappointed to read of your experience, which fell well short of expectation, and the level of service you should have received. I can completely understand how frustrated and unimpressed you would have felt, and would like to express my sincere apologies to you.

I would very much like to invite you back to Monboddo, so that you may experience the level of service which we strive to offer to all of our guests, and will contact you directly so that I may arrange this for you.

Your sincerely
Monboddo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Extra effort”
Reviewed 12 November 2013

A friend of mine was looking after a shop across the street from Monboddo and stopped in to get a coffee. She needed to take it away in order to get the shop open, but they couldn't provide her with a take-away cup and so she had to do without the coffee. But later on, the waitress from Monboddo arrived at the shop with her coffee when they'd managed to find a disposable cup and presented it to her on the house to compensate for the delay. That's very special! And the coffee there is great; worth waiting for!

• Visited November 2013
TreeEdinburgh, Manager at Monboddo, responded to this review, 25 November 2013
Dear Dvorak150

Thank you for taking the time to review your friend's experience of Monboddo.

I am sorry for the delay in serving the takeaway coffee, but am delighted to hear that the resulting coffee (and indeed the delivery) was so well-received!

We have recently introduced a fabulous Coffee and Cake promotion, for only £2.50, with plentiful supplies of takeaway coffee cups available(!) so hope to welcome you both back to Monboddo soon.

Kind regards

Monboddo, Edinburgh
“I think I threw them with the tea!”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

Slow service. Cold mushrooms . Salty food. No cutlery for 10 mins after food arrived for some of our party. Staff were pleasant. The restaurant was opened 2 weeks prior to our visit and I feel was a work in progress.

• Visited August 2013