“Food ok, service poor”

Negociants
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 17 August 2013

Perhaps it was down to visiting during the Fringe, but the service at Negociants was borderline rude. The food was overpriced and extremely average. I wouldn't recommend it.

Reviewed 9 January 2013

I went to Negociants with a friend for tapas. We had bought a voucher deal which restricted us to eating after 8pm. Probably because of this the restaurant was quite busy.

We were seated at a table near the rear of the restaurant, close to double doors leading to the toilets. The restaurant was freezing cold and this was worsened by the doors towards the toilets frequently being left open or ajar allowing a howling gale to blow through the doors into the restaurant. After spending half an hour between us and the other closest table constantly getting up to close these doors we moved tables. It was still cold but a tiny bit better. We still sat with jackets and scarves on.

The service was terrible. The waitress took our order having given us a long list of tapas dishes that weren't available. We ordered a bottle of wine and after 20 minutes I asked again for bottle we'd ordered. The waitress still didn't bring it so I went to the bar myself and found it sitting on the side of the bar ready to be brought to us. I brought it to the table myself, no one apologised to us for the delay which had been nearly 30 minutes by this time.

The food didn't arrive for an hour after ordering but was very nice when it did arrive. It had obviously been freshly prepared and the chef seems to be the only decent thing about this place!

The waitress didn't ask if we wanted any other drinks or coffee, nor did she offer dessert.

The decor was very tired, obviously hasn't been updated for years. I am amazed that negociants is still open at all. I certainly won't be back and wouldn't recommend it to anyone, despite the nice food. The atmosphere, temperature and appalling service sadly overshadowed the food altogether.

4  Thank Liabrie
Reviewed 7 December 2012

Another Groupon customer - twice! First time was one of the "oldies" mentioned in a previous review. Busy Saturday night, service a bit slow but lovely staff and well-cooked tapas - amazing value when you think you got 20 for £28! And who wants to hurry and have all food served at once when you are out for a pleasant evening with friends! Yes, there were a couple of items unavailable but plenty of great things to choose. Great buzz about the place. Two of us went back on a quiet Thursday evening and also requested a table before the official offer time of 8pm - no problem to the nice man on the phone. Quite a few people in the bar area but we were the only ones in the restaurant. We didn't reckon that we could get through 20 tapas between the two of us but ordered 14 to see how we got on. We watched the chef preparing each one freshly; they came out in a steady but comfortable stream in a sensible order and beautifully presented; amazing for the price. The service was by the same two friendly, polite, attractive and chatty girls who couldn't have been more helpful. Quirky dress code but that just added to the charm! We managed to get through the 14 tapas , my wife ordered an ice-cream and I negotiated a coffee instead - no problem to the ladies! Just one comment; on both visits the only dessert available was ice-cream, so why not just take all the others off the menu; would look better. If you are young at heart whatever your chronological age and are looking for great value, not in a hurry, not expecting Michelin star cooking at Macdonalds prices, this is the place! Just one other quirky thing - we noticed lots of people disappearing through the doors to the toilets with drinks in their hands and not returning which was a bit disconcerting; later discovered this was the back way to the basement night club too! We met the new manager and he seems to be committed to ensure that everyone has the good experience which we had rather than the negative ones reported earlier. Give it a try - we will be back!

Reviewed 4 December 2012

I bought a Groupon and was unaware of the time you had to book between, that was in the fine print, was 8pm till late....I tried my luck as I really wanted to come earlier after work, a friendly gentleman answered the phone and explained he was more than happy to take us anytime that suited me,,,off to a good start.... When I arrived I was greeted by a very pleasant young lady who sat me and friends to your seat she was more than helpful, she made our night very enjoyable with friendly banter, she explained to us negociants was under new management and things have taking a turn for the best, I have never been before but looking at the previous comments on trip advisor I may not have came at all, I'm delighted we did because after trying the tapas I can only describe as one of the best meals we have had in town for some time, although it was a little slow in coming out it was well worth the wait....I cannot fault anything, and fell sorry for the customers who had bad experiences before the new management, I can only suggest they go along and try it out again, I certainly WILL be back

Thanks for the wonderful evening negociants staff

Reviewed 2 December 2012

Having read quite a few damning reports on this restaurant, we were a bit dubious as to whether we should proceed with our booking - however it was a Groupon offer so we went ahead and were very pleasantly surprised to find we disagreed - perhaps we met it on a good day - or the other reviewers on a bad one! We asked if the place had changed hands - apparently not, but it is under new management. The service was excellent - delightful and helpful girls waiting - and, yes the tapas took a longish time to be served - but we were out for the evening and each dish was freshly prepared and without exception, delicious : I sat opposite the kitchen and watched the chef working hard without a break for the 3 hours we were there. We had no problem with the wine as did a previous reviewer. Yes, it is a fairly basic place but it's in student land and it had a good, warm buzzy feel which, on a freezing December evening was welcome to group of 'oldies' well into their 60's, transported briefly back to their student days!

1  Thank tresco2