“Excellent, just excellent”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Princes Street and Gardens
Description: Memorable flavours and world-class cuisine. A truly outstanding culinary experience, worthy of its Michelin star for the 13th consecutive year. As one of the finest Edinburgh restaurants, 'Number One' presents an innovative blend of Scottish and French flavours. Saute Foie Gras with duck confit. Borders lamb, broad beans and grelot. Rhubarb and white chocolate panna cotta. Take a seat on the golden banquettes and sample some of Scotland's most creative dishes from our tasting menus. Equally striking are the original artworks from The Royal College of Art that hang on the red lacquered walls.
Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

This has to be one of the most attractive dining rooms in Britain, they have no view so instead focus on lighting, art and kitsch decor to excellent affect. The maître d is perfect for this place (Gary) a true Scottish gent and with an exceptional memory. For example, the previous time I visited the restaurant before last night must have been 2/3 years ago, but Gary, without prompt, treated me like an old friend as if I'd never been away, great service. The food, is excellent as one would expect with the John Dory a particular highlight.

Also can't leave a review without mentioning the superb sommelier and his choices- why not try a 30yr old Pedro ximinez....don't mind if I di.

It's not cheap, no, but for the price I paid I did not regret any of it....but will probably have to re- mortgage the house.

Excellent all round. Is right up there with the best in Edinburgh, and keeps changing with the times.

1  Thank Franklon
balmoraledinburgh, Manager at Number One at The Balmoral, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable experience when you returned to Number One recently and I will take pleasure in sharing your kind words with my colleagues in the kitchen, as well as with the sommelier, Laurence, who I am glad was able to enhance your experience with his recommendations.
I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back before too long.

Best regards
Gary Quinn
Number One Restaurant Director

Reviewed 2 December 2013 via mobile

As we often do we opted for the tasting menu. The food was good, service excellent and the overall ambience of the place deserving of its Michelin Star. My only observation was that none of the dishes was truly memorable.

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Second visit to No. 1 and wont be my last. Spacious, roomy and elegant. Service excellent as one would expect. Tasting menu well paced ! Only feedback is that the breadcrumbs were not cleared from the table and remained till the end.

Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

This has been one of the best meals we have ever had, and we have dined at a large number of michelin star restaurants in London.

The fish main course was one of the best dishes I have ever had - I would come all the way to Edinburgh to have it again!

We had the a la carte menu, and there was also about 5 extra 'taster' courses, amuse bouche, pre starter and pre desert etc. All amazing.

The sommelier was also very helpful and explained all about the different whisky types they had on offer. All the other staff were also polite and charming.

The ambience is quiet and romantic, with a good amount of space between tables. Excellent for a special occasion.

We would love to dine there again and would recommend to anyone.

1  Thank Anon87_12
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Absolutely divine dining experience. The food was fit for a king. Presentation of each dish so intricate and precise it wowed you on sight, and it delivered on taste. Staff very friendly and attentive but not in your face. Overall a really lovely relaxing dining experience, well worth a visit! Yes I will be going back to restautrant when I next visit Edinburgh.

1  Thank Jane B