“Faultless”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Princes Street and Gardens
Description: Memorable flavours and world-class cuisine. A truly outstanding culinary experience, worthy of its Michelin star for the 13th consecutive year. As one of the finest Edinburgh restaurants, 'Number One' presents an innovative blend of Scottish and French flavours. Saute Foie Gras with duck confit. Borders lamb, broad beans and grelot. Rhubarb and white chocolate panna cotta. Take a seat on the golden banquettes and sample some of Scotland's most creative dishes from our tasting menus. Equally striking are the original artworks from The Royal College of Art that hang on the red lacquered walls.
Reviewed 14 July 2014

My wife and I visited Number One at Balmoral to celebrate our joint 30th birthday. Having previously experienced taster menu's at other establishments, we decided to give this a go at Number One.

From pre-drinks in the cocktail bar upstairs, which were taken to our table for us (without asking) to the service throughout the whole meal, everything was faultless. I can safely say it's the first time I've been to a restaurant where the table is moved for you to make yourself comfortable, rather than you work your way around the table.

The staff were very welcoming from the outset, and all knowledgeable of the requests I had made in the prior booking. The waiters were aware to ensure the water was topped up at all times (I assume the same of the wine, however we had chosen the wine package with the meal) and offered bread through the middle four courses.

The food itself was excellent, with particular highlights being the Sea Trout, Beef and the Souffle desert. The size of the portions were ideal, in that we left feeling suitably fed, not hungry for more and not uncomfortable.

The whole experience was made so enjoyable and comfortable due to the sommelier and the waiters. The sommelier in particular took the time to answer questions I had regarding champagne and port (and even provided a mini port tasting experience) which made the dining experience easily the best I have had to date. Our every needs were catered for, even a surprise for my wife, and I would thoroughly recommend a visit to this restaurant.

People may balk at the price to dine at a restaurant, and by no means is this a regular occurrence for me, however I feel the price is certainly reflected by the 1. Food & Drink 2. Service and 3. Overall Experience. In my case, for a celebration, or if you would like to enjoy a fine dining experience, then Number One at Balmoral is a serious contender

2  Thank lewfal
BalmoralEdinburgh, Manager at Number One at The Balmoral, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Guest

I am delighted to read your complimentary review following your recent celebratory visit to Number One. Your comments regarding the quality of the food you enjoyed throughout the evening are greatly appreciated by my colleagues in the kitchen and I am also pleased to learn that your overall experienced was further enhanced by the knowledge and service from our waiting team.
I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back soon.

Yours sincerely

Gary Quinn
Number One Restaurant Director

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Visited herefor my birthday and left feeling extremely frustrated and confused. We arrived and had pre drinks which were a bit extreme the Bloody Mary had so much hanging off the glass it looked like a fruit salad. When we sat down in Number One it seemed like they had just stuck us in a corner away out of the road which was a bit frustrating. We ordered from the al a carte which was a well balanced menu with a choice for everyone. I choose the crab and my wife choose the scallops. They were both fantastic (there was a small bit of shell in my crab but I did not say anything as these things happen) we had the pork and the deer for mains. This is when the problems seem to start my wife's pork was Chewy and very tough we sent this back and were told we would get a fresh plate. I then had to ask for them to take my plate back as no offer was made to keep it warm. They both arrived after about 25 minutes which felt like a lifetime. But were both fantastic. We then ordered desserts I had the soufflé and my wife had the chocolate. I went to the toilet. I returned to find my dessert sitting at my table. This is wrong to bring a course of food to the table when there is no one situated at the position (did they no how long I would be) we quickly finished and moved on to peti fours which were extremely sweet and sickly. I had a coffee which arrived with the no spoon for sugar I assumed this would arrive but after 5 minutes I had to ask for a spoon.We decided enough was enough and got the bill. We assumed that after the main course disaster that there would be a slight adjustment in the bill. But no I had to say to a waitress that I was not willing to pay for the pork dish. Which caused a bit of embarrassment. It returned we paid and left.

We left angry frustrated by the end we thought the staff just thought we were after a free meal which was not the case

My wife who had planned this for my birthday felt let down and that she had ruined my birthday . She also came out of her comfort zone for this experience and has vowed not to return to a fine dining restaurant.

Was this just a bad night for Number One I'd hope so.

Would I return? Not in a rush but I would like to give it another chance in the future possibly but I would not race to return.

10  Thank Lee S

Dear Guest,

I am sorry to read from your review that you remain disappointed following your recent visit to Number One, despite our best efforts to resolve your complaints on the evening.
The tables in our restaurant are positioned to allow diners a degree of privacy which is not often available in other restaurants. I am sorry that you were unhappy with the position of your table and we have updated our records to reflect this for any future visits.
It is most regrettable that the quality of your wife’s pork dish was not consistent with the rest of your meal and I would again like to offer my apologies. Whilst I appreciate that this disrupted the flow of your evening, I am pleased that you both enjoyed the dishes once they had been replaced.
Our soufflé takes around 25 minutes to prepare and, due to the nature of the dish, it does deflate quickly once ready. We therefore took the decision to serve the desserts immediately. We would of course have offered to re-cook the soufflé had you not returned straight away but I am sorry that you feel this decision was ill judged.
It is apparent that on this occasion we fell short of your expectations and I regret that as a result your wife feels reluctant to return to a fine dining restaurant in the future. I sincerely hope that on reflection you will find enough positives to consider returning to Number One and would ask that on such occasion you contact me directly to make your arrangements.

Yours sincerely

Gary Quinn
Number One Restaurant Director

Reviewed 12 July 2014

Amazing food, Amazing Environment, Amazing Staff… Simply Amazing! We cannot wait to come back to Number One! We celebrated our two month anniversary (yes I know, two months is crazy) We will be back!

2  Thank Samantha W
Reviewed 10 July 2014

Our son lives in Edinburgh, as we used to do, and our daughter lives in Oxford, so to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary (we got married in Edinburgh but now live in Glasgow), we thought we would push the boat out and have dinner at Number One. We weren't disappointed.
Okay, it's quite expensive - but actually not as bad as I was expecting. I've eaten in more expensive restaurants in London where the quality of the food has been mediocre at best.
The surroundings are comfortable without being OTT and the staff are great. They are reserved, without being obsequious, but also comfortably chatty without being overly-familiar. They were quite prepared to take pictures of us as a family (despite being such a "posh" place) and as someone has said before, "the staff provide the perfect balance".
Of course you go for the food and it was something else. What appears to be a 3-course dinner is effectively 7 courses. There's an amuse bouche and even a pre-desert desert! It's all beautifully prepared and presented, as you would expect, but one course magically seemed to compliment the next. The courses were all well-spaced out so that, over the 3+hours, you never feel too full and yet you never, ever felt that time was dragging. Really clever.
At one point in the evening I'd mentioned to one of the waiters why we were there. We had coffee with petits fours and on our plate, "Happy Anniversary" had been written in chocolate. What a thoughtful ending to a wonderful evening.

1  Thank Marco2311
Reviewed 8 July 2014

A huge thanks to Lawrence and all the staff at Number One. Superb food and fantastic service that hit the perfect balance between friendly and professional. Made my graduation meal incredibly special, would recommend to anyone.

1  Thank DennisDennisDennis