“World Cup FInal World Class Restaurant”

Number One at The Balmoral
Ranked #4 of 2,598 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$92 - US$122
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Princes Street and Gardens
Description: Memorable flavours and world-class cuisine. A truly outstanding culinary experience, worthy of its Michelin star for the 13th consecutive year. As one of the finest Edinburgh restaurants, 'Number One' presents an innovative blend of Scottish and French flavours. Saute Foie Gras with duck confit. Borders lamb, broad beans and grelot. Rhubarb and white chocolate panna cotta. Take a seat on the golden banquettes and sample some of Scotland's most creative dishes from our tasting menus. Equally striking are the original artworks from The Royal College of Art that hang on the red lacquered walls.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I had the privilege of visiting Restaurant Number One for dinner before heading into the city to enjoy the world cup final. I have to say from the moment I arrived until the moment I left the experience was nothing but a pleasure. I opted for the tasting menu and from the canapes to the dessert each dish was a winner. I have visited all the michelin starred restaurants in Edinburgh and many in London and Number One Balmoral compares favourably with most. Special mention goes to the front of house team who delivered a service as tasteful and elegant as the meal. I will most certainly be returning as often as possible. I would urge anyone who enjoys fine dining to visit this fantastic restaurant at the first given opportunity.

2  Thank MickM1409
Write a ReviewReviews (1,469)

Reviewed 23 July 2014

Food is beyond words and so is the service. In the days of mass production the Number One provides local produce cooked perfectly. The mix of flavours and choice of the menu are exquisite.

2  Thank CRK29
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I visited Number One earlier this year during a short break in Edinburgh. We had a great dining experience: the food was exquisite, broad offer of wines below 50 GBP and the atmosphere is modern yet romantic.

We would definitely revisit, and would recommend to others but bring both your wallets because it will be a pricy meal (though not overpriced). 5 points for sure.

Although we were very pleased with the experience, we do have some constructive feedback.

Here's a few pointers for the staff:
-don't say "you're welcome" before your guests have said "thank you". It will make them feel like they were supposed to say "thank you" and you are pointing out that they didn't. Especially when you say it every freaking time (!!) you top up their glass, take away empty plates, bring some more bread, place clean cutlery and so on, and so forth..
-don't serve a dish when one of the table party is to the restroom. Most likely, he/she will be back soon and it will hurt nobody if the plates stay at the pass for a few more minutes. Just keep an eye out for his/her return and he/she will not have a feeling like he/she has missed anything (such as for instance presenting the dish, pouring sauce etc.)

1  Thank Amsterdam-duo
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We recently had dinner at Number One at the Balmoral Hotel in Edinburgh and this was our fifth visit. It is one of our favourite restaurants of all time and once again did not disappoint. We like the layout of the restaurant - the tables are really well spaced so you are not forced to eavesdrop on your neighbours conversation. The food as always was superb (hand-dived scallops with pea puree, asparagus and girolles, foie gras, roe deer and spelt risotto with celeriac, girolles and truffle). The chef always showcases local ingredients. The Sommelier gave us great suggestions for wine (including a chilled sweet red to accompany my husband's foie gras which we would never have thought of). As always the service was spot on, very efficient but never intrusive. A great experience as always and we will be returning on our next visit to Edinburgh.

2  Thank seacucumber
Reviewed 22 July 2014

I have wanted to try this restaurant for ages and finally got the chance a few weeks ago with friends-FANTASTIC as I knew it would be. The highlight for me was the rabbit, superb. My two friends also enjoyed the food, one had the sea trout, the other had the beef, all absolutely faultless. You really do feel special when eating at Number One (well named), the staff are very attentive and extremely good at their jobs, Nothing is too much trouble. It is pricey, but well worth a visit. The waiters ensure your water is topped up, which doesn't happen in a lot of restaurants, the wine was superb. I would love to dine here again, if you get the chance visit Number One, you will love the experience.

2  Thank SHGLASGOW