“Nice Monday evening”

Pataka
Ranked #18 of 2,784 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Indian and Bengali restaurant. Opened 1991. Highly recommended by many news papers and guides. Open 7 days a week 5pm to 11pm
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

A very tasty vegetarian meal in a Rennie Macintosh design restaurant. Good food, a good atmosphere, and good service!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.
Delighted to read that you had a tasty vegetarian meal and liked the decor, atmosphere and service.

Reviewed 21 June 2018 via mobile

Food was incredible, and service was quick and helpful. Portions may look smaller but are very filling! Fully recommend

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.
Very happy to read that you thought the food was incredible and service fast, frienldy and helpful.
Hope to see you the next time you are in Edinburgh.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

My parents and I had the best Indian meal we've ever had at this fantastic little restaurant! A friendly welcome and very quick service. We had some DEVINE meat samosas (a real must have!), a perfectly spiced lamb jalfrezi, a delicate chicken kurma and the most incredible mango special sauce that I could have easily drank a gallon or two of - I had to ask for more, it was just delicious. I cannot recommend this place enough. Having travelled extensively in India, this is the only curry house in the UK where I have tasted curries as flavourful as those from the subcontinent. Fantastic!

1  Thank Emma S

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.
Fantastic to read that it was the tastiest curries you have had in the UK and that you found our staff friendly.

Reviewed 18 June 2018 via mobile

Unprepossessing exterior leads one into a delightful restaurant. The staff are friendly and helpful. The food is superb. We would recommend it highly.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.
Great to read that you found the staff friendly and helpful, and the food superb.

Reviewed 18 June 2018

We visited last Wednesday after a work event.

We managed to get a table without booking.

We opted for the poppadoms, spiced onions and a selcetion of the starters. I personally had the chicken pakora.

The poppadoms were ok, the spiced onion wasn't very good - it felt like it was just onion, tomato, cucumber but mixed with just tomato puree and powdered spices, it was just a bit too dry and cloying of a taste. My starter was ok, but the chicken was quite tough and bland. The spice of the pakora wasn't really there. It tasted more like a chicken nugget than a pakora, sorry.

The main course was on a different level though.

All our curries were nice. I had the chicken jalfrezie, and my friends had the butter chicken and north Indian garlic chicken. All the curries were tasty. My jalfrezie wasn't too spicy which was nice as I could eat it all without having to take a break. The butter chicken was flavoursome. The NI garlic was a bit too on the garlicky side for me (but that's why I didn't order it), it was tasty but overly garlicky for my taste. The naan was very nice.

Good selection of beers on tap and bottle.
Staff were really friendly.

Overall, we would come back. We might not order starter again, because these weren't a patch on the main course.

1  Thank Lola H
Pataka190, Manager at Pataka, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us.
Delighted that you enjoyed the main courses but sad to hear that you didn't enjoy the spiced onions or your Chicken pakora. Every place has a different recipe for these and our customers seem to enjoy them as they always order the same starter/spiced onions. If you had let us know we would have been happy too replace it with something else. We dont like to see anyone not enjoying something.
I hope you give us another try in the future.