“Truly One Star experience”

Restaurant Martin Wishart
Ranked #20 of 2,640 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$40 - US$113
Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Martin Wishart, an Edinburgh-born chef, has firmly established himself as one of the UK’s most highly respected chefs. Trained under such renowned chefs as Albert Roux, Michel Roux Jr, Marco Pierre White and John Burton-Race, taking a little bit of inspiration from each mentor over the time he worked with them and distilling it to create his own culinary magic. Amongst some of the many attributes they imparted to him over the years of working together, it was the importance of discipline in the kitchen, a passion for food and a deep understanding of classic French cooking techniques that have continued to be the backbone of his style. Whilst never having planned to become a chef, he started working in kitchens from the age of fifteen, fell in love with the industry and now has more than thirty years’ experience in the business. He is now an established and multi-awarded chef and restaurateur.
Reviewed 18 October 2013

This is definitely one of the best meal I had in a restaurant. From the atmosphere, the service, the food preparedness and presentation, it is truly Michelin star experience, if they are rated 2 star, I won't be surprise either.

And the best part, they allow my baby to come along, which not many Michelin star restaurant willing to allow so.

The food menu, which we all tried tasting menu, is excellent match and combination from no.1 till the dessert. Truly amazing, all dish can be prepared with such skilled manner, maybe that is why we pay for the star dining experience!

For people that intend to enjoy a good dining, Martin Wishart definitely should be one of your dining destination while in Edinburgh.

1  Thank jeffayn
Write a ReviewReviews (1,229)

Reviewed 17 October 2013

Have just returned from Leith where my daughter and I shared a fantastic evening's dining. We both had the classic tasting menu, although my preferences were accommodated by substituting two courses from the vegetarian tasting menu. The food and service were outstanding. The many staff worked the restaurant like true professionals, really knew their subject and made you feel as though were the most important of their guests. If you're hesitating...don't, you won't regret it.

Reviewed 17 October 2013

restaurant booked by my wife
welcoming and very knowledgeable staff made the journey well worth the effort
tasting menu and wine package of excellent variety and taste

Reviewed 10 October 2013

This is truly on the high end of 'fine dining' befitting a one star Mich category.
3 tasting menus offered, meat based, seafood or vegetarian. A la carte menu as well, priced to match exactly the tasting choices so no incentive to not do the tasting except perhaps time limits. We had the seafood menu.

My wife was dazzled by the experience, one of many we've had in Europe. It is right there with the best of them, and rumor has it a second star is coming. As with such a lengthy set of tastes, I preferred some more than others.

Service is also "haute" with the staff being entirely French. They were young but completely polished and professional; their training, wherever it was, shows.

Reviewed 10 October 2013

We ate at Martin wishart's on a Wednesday night so it wasn't totally full but it was quite busy. From the moment you enter you are in for a treat, the staff are excellent, helpful and very knowledgable on the dishes and wine.

For starter we choose the Orkney scallops and Loch Fyne crab, both of these dishes were beautiful, the scallops were the nicest I have ever tasted and the crab came close as well. For mains we choose the Dover sole and the shoulder fillet of beef, it would be impossible to fault either of these dishes, from the portion size to the amazing taste they were incredible with the beef being the best I've ever tasted. The small course between the chosen courses were also amazing as were the beautiful puddings.

The wine list is extensive and we settled for a bottle of French red which was beautiful. As you would expect at a Restuarant like this it isn't cheap but it's worth every penny for the quality of food and service.

I would also note that the tasting menus looked amazing and we did consider choosing one but settled for a la carte menu in the end. I would say this restaurant would be an amazing place to go for a special occasion. Recommended.