“Enjoyable ”

Ranked #20 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$36 - US$104
Cuisines: French, European, British, Scottish
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: "toptable Dining Awards 2007 - Runner-up: Best Ambience category

The award-winning Martin Wishart restaurant in Edinburgh 's port of Leith is a stunning fine dining experience not to be missed. The relaxed cream and mocha colour scheme, fresh flowers and flawless service provide the perfect backdrop for the exquisite food. Wishart – who has worked with super-chefs such as Marc Meneau, Albert Roux and Marco Pierre White during his high-profile career – has a dedicated team of eight chefs working overtime to create the restaurant's Michelin-starred modern Scottish menu. We love the lobster and smoked haddock souffle with soubise spinach; the partridge and foie gras with red cabbage and apple sauce; and the roast loin and civet of hare with apple, beetroot, salsafi and black pudding sauce. "
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable ”
Reviewed 11 November 2013 via mobile

While good, the atmosphere let's it down.. Felt like I needed to whisper... For the cost it really should knock your socks off, mine were still on when I left.

2 Thank bertieson

Houston, Texas
“Overrated...”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

We had a wonderful vacation in Edinburgh and wanted to have one extravagant meal, so after seeing this restaurant had a Michelin Star we couldn't say no! We got the tasting menu and wine pairings. I wish I could say it was amazing but it just wasn't. The food was just so average...I was not impressed. HOWEVER, the wine pairings and cheese cart made up for it. Their sommelier is outstanding. The cheese cart was enormous and after 4 so-so courses I was ready to dive in! All in all, we had our extravagant meal, but I can't say it was worth the $500.

• Visited August 2013
Scotland
“Amazing tasting menu”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

Spent an amazing few hours at Martin's restaurant enjoying his fish tasting menu including wine yesterday.

Great restaurant, staff were very friendly, knowledgable and approachable. The food was very impressive and would highly recommend the tasting menu and the wine complemented each course.

If you have not already visited this restaurant, you really must you will love it.

Congratulations to Martin and all his staff, we will be back.

• Visited November 2013
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Style over substance”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

I'll never forget the moment. Having sat down at this highly recommended and very well reviewed restaurant, my three friends and I opened our menus. There was a long silence. Eventually somebody calmly announced, "well I don't know about you, but there is nothing on there that I want to eat". With a palpable sense of relief the rest of us concurred - and that is the problem with this restaurant. It appeared that the chef was pursuing a policy of only using the most obscure and expensive ingredients irrespective of how well they went together. In short: why use chicken when you can use sweet meats. And the service was like cut glass; posh but sharp. Our female waitress seemed to have wandered off the set of The Pride of Miss Jean Brodie and her male counterparts were from the Alistair, Calder and Finley school of St. Andrews patricians. Yes, this was high altar Scottish pomposity - a rarer and more condensed poison than the far more widely available English version. Of course none of the above would have mattered had the food actually been any good, but in reality the food had to be far more than that. The fussy menu, stuffy staff and AAA prices had set this food up for a fall before it even arrived. To have rescued the evening it would have had to have been life changing - and it just wasn't. Our taste buds merely confirmed what the menu had suggested; this was fancy food for the sake of it, without any real thought as to whether these platinum ingredients actually worked together. It was the culinary equivalent of "jazz fusion" - were the world's finest musicians fill a record with their most complicated solos without ever stumbling onto a tune. Doubtless there will be a slice of the porcelain classes of Edinburgh and a band of dedicated uber foodies who will love this culinary Latin Mass. If you do not fall into either of those categories, I'd give it a miss.

17 Thank David F
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Birthdays come but once a year”
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Many thanks to my clever children who gave my husband a day at Martin Wishart Cookschool a few weeks ago so he wanted to take me to the restaurant for my birthday lunch to see if the techniques he'd learned were being followed correctly. And they were. From one delicious mouthful to another there was not one off-key note. I adore bread and the sourdough was sublime. But so was everything really. The newly arrived truffle season meant that my husband couldn't resist the risotto the truffle shavings. His Bouillabaisse was a stunning deviation from a typical Marseillaise soupy stew; a soup that wasn't. My beef melted in the mouth. If anything the potatoes dauphinoise were just too creamy. You couldn't eat this level of richness on a daily basis but every so often it's just so very good.

• Visited October 2013