“Amazing experience”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: "toptable Dining Awards 2007 - Runner-up: Best Ambience category

The award-winning Martin Wishart restaurant in Edinburgh 's port of Leith is a stunning fine dining experience not to be missed. The relaxed cream and mocha colour scheme, fresh flowers and flawless service provide the perfect backdrop for the exquisite food. Wishart – who has worked with super-chefs such as Marc Meneau, Albert Roux and Marco Pierre White during his high-profile career – has a dedicated team of eight chefs working overtime to create the restaurant's Michelin-starred modern Scottish menu. We love the lobster and smoked haddock souffle with soubise spinach; the partridge and foie gras with red cabbage and apple sauce; and the roast loin and civet of hare with apple, beetroot, salsafi and black pudding sauce. "
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Amazing experience”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We were invited to Martin Wishart's with a group of friends for a special occasion.
We had the vegetarian tasting menu, I am not vegetarian but I can honestly say that I was blown away by everything I ate. Highlights were a cheese soufflé that just melted in the mouth, a mushroom soup and an amazing ravioli. The desserts were also superb, I had a chocolate and cherry concoction. The only criticism I had was that we were quite rushed, we had chosen wine by the glass to go with each course and we ended up with lots of them piling up on the table! Also, the sommelier did not really explain the wines and when we asked a couple of questions, the answers were a bit vague. However, the food was so awesome that we easily forgave the restaurant for this. We are definitely going back to Edinburgh for a weekend and this time we will give the meat menu a go.

• Visited July 2013

Cambridge
“Adequate but expensive”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

There really was nothing to complain about on our recent visit with friends. OK the service was friendly but not particularly attentive. But the food was all very well prepared and presented. However, the truth is that at £150 per head there needs to be an X factor and there just was not for anyone in our group. Nothing eye catching or jaw dropping in quality. Wines average and expensive. .

Visited June 2014
3 Thank Clanmc
Los Angeles, California
“best lunch whilst in Edinburgh”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Don't be scared of the Michelin Star or the formality of the dining room. Service was friendly and the lunch prix fixe is an amazing deal. the day we were there there was a mix of business lunches, a wedding party, a few dates and a few tourists.

They were accommodating to my boyfriends gluten free requirement and the food was, needless to say, top notch. What really impressed me was the wines I ordered. One Borgogne white and a Bordeaux. If I was at the end of my day and no the start, I would have been happy to drink more but alas, it was not to be.

If you do order the foie gras terrine, be warned it is a VERY generous serving. It would easily be enough for 2-3 and yes I ate the whole thing.

• Visited May 2014
Great Barford, United Kingdom
“High class”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

I was fortunate it dine here whilst in Edinburgh recently, the quality & service was excellent. The tasting menu, with matching wines was a 1st class dining experience.
The only reason for not awarding 5 stars, was that the wine for the main course was missed & the staff had to be reminded. They were most apologetic & quickly remedied.

• Visited June 2014
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Outstanding!”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were taken to Martin Wishart by my sister and brother in law as a belated wedding anniversary celebration on Tuesday 17th June, and we were not disappointed. From the moment we stepped into the restaurant to the moment we left, we were made to feel very special. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, and one of the waiters even recognised my brother in law from a previous booking he had in January.
The food wasn't what I would normally eat, but the experience I had from eating something totally different was fantastic. The portions were small but certainly filling. My wife and I received a card and some chocolates at the end congratulating us on our anniversary, which was a really nice gesture, and a big thank you to the staff for that.

• Visited June 2014