“Unexpectedly good!”

Good for: Groups, Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Description: The Basement Bar and Restaurant is a genuine Edinburgh institution, long favoured by locals and found by savvy travellers. Serving traditional Mexican food & a carefully chosen drinks list with creative cocktails and a fantastic beer selection. It is advisable to book if you are looking to dine as tables always seem to be busy in the restaurant area, however the same menu is served throughout the bar.
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I had not realised they did food in here so when it came up on Itison we thought we would give it a try.

I had the steak. I have paid twice as much for steak that was half as good as this in more upmarket establishments - 2 inches thick, perfectly rare with good thick chips and peppercorn sauce. The chicken fajitas were also very good. Rounded off with a perfect mojito and mai tai.

We will be back.

TheBasementBar, Manager at The Basement, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2013

Hi there,

Many thanks for taking the time to review your visit with us. We're delighted that you had a great time during your visit and that both your food and drinks were up to scratch! It means a lot to know that you had a lovely time.

Hopefully we'll see you again soon.

Kind regards

The Basement Team

Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

Basement have the right idea , I am never dissapointed with this little place , lovley atmosphere a great place to chat with friends or go on a date , it's a lovley place to go when it's cold outside as it's cosy ! The staff are great , really chilled and friendly - thank you basement for being my favourite bar in edinburgh - please don't change ! X

Hi there,

Many thanks for your review. We're delighted to hear that you have such an affection for our little bar and are doing everything we can to keep it that way and make it even better for you every time you come in.

I suppose the fact that you find us to be nice and cosy is good news given that winter is on the way!

Look forward to seeing you again soon.

Kind regards

The Basement Team

Reviewed 7 September 2013

Initially, my boyfriend & I visited The Basement as we had a Groupon voucher. On our first visit we were extremely impressed by the food and the kind and friendly staff who made the atmosphere welcoming. As we loved the food so much, we returned on several occasions, taking family members with us who equally enjoyed the food as much as us. We have also recommended it to many friends & will continue to do so. I give The Basement 10/10! :)

1  Thank Rachel H
TheBasementBar, Manager at The Basement, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Hi Rachel,

Thanks for taking the time to review your time in The Basement.

We're delighted to hear that you've enjoyed your visits so much, and that your family have also enjoyed the experience when you brought them along. We're very happy for you to spread the word for us, and in return we'll keep coming up with great food & drinks and a friendly, relaxed atmosphere to enjoy them in!

See you again soon,

Reviewed 2 September 2013

Visited over the weekend, and there were not many other people. Food still took some time to come out, but that's fine, it takes time to cook, however, not impressed with the food. As mentioned in a comment below by someone - the place gives an impression that it is Mexican food place. Most items on the menu are Mexican. And it was not great Mexican food. It is alright if you are hungry, but what bother me was - rice did not really have any taste, and Guacamole was very, very weird, it did not look fresh, and tasted a bit sour. Maybe it is just made differently, but I rather enjoy the fresh tasting one more. So if I can cook home, I rather will choose that option than going out to the Basement. However, I do normally expect this to be the other way around.
Would like to say that it is good for drinks, but the atmosphere wasn't there.

TheBasementBar, Manager at The Basement, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Hi there,

Thank you for posting a review of your visit.

We are constantly looking to improve our food offering and I apologise that yours was not up to standard. Your comments have been taken on board and discussed with the kitchen staff who are looking in to ways to provide something better than what you received.

I would advise that we are not a Mexican restaurant per se, and I apologise if that was the impression you were given, but you are correct in that Mexican dishes make up about half of the main dishes we currently offer. They have been kept on our menu as it has evolved through the years as they have become a customer favourite.

Like I said, your comments are welcome and the chefs are looking at ways to improve the taste and quality of the dishes they send out.

I hope you come back soon to give us another try and see if the changes we make have improved the quality of the food.

Many thanks

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Purchased an itison voucher and booked a table 4 4 people tonight. We were seated at our table and ordered drinks, I asked for white wine spritzer and the waitress brought me a small wine glass. when i checked with her if it was a white wine spritzer she said its wine with lemonade in it. " will that be ok?" she asked. I replied no i'd rather have what i had asked for ie. wine with soda. She returned with the correct drink fairly promptly. There were customers at 2 other tables when we arrived and another 2 sets of couples and an elderly gent dressed in full scottish regalia came in 5 -15 minutes after us. All other tables were being served their food, even the people who came in after us and after waiting 45 minutes I called the barmaid over to ask why we had been waiting so long. She went off to the kitchen 2 see and came back a few minutes later to with our meals. There was no apology or explanation for our wait! Very disappointing if this was because we were a voucher booking! I used to be a fairly regular customer at the basement but tonight I was totally unimpressed by the service and the waiting staff. While the food was nice, when it eventually arrived I felt very let down. For these reasons we left no tip and I will now think twice before returning voucher or not! Poor show guys!!!!!

Hi there,

Firstly I cannot apologise enough for the level of service you experienced during your visit. This is absolutely not what we expect from either our waiting or kitchen staff at any time.

I can also assure you that the fact you had an Itison voucher had no bearing whatsoever on the service you should have received during your visit. It is extremely inportant to us that all our customers are treated in a friendly, efficient and professional manner at all times.

We are taking your complaint very seriously and in order to help me get to the root of the problem I would be grateful if you could contact me either by email (hello@basement-bar-edinburgh.co.uk) or phone (0131 557 0097) to discuss your visit further.

Once again, I apologise that your visit left you disappointed and we are doing all we can to ensure that each customer that walks through our doors receives a high level of service consistently, every time they visit.

Many thanks