Open today: 09:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Excellent day out

First - Gareth is a gentleman. We accidentally booked our tour 2 weeks too early, and Gareth turned... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Powerbrokers
Melbourne, Australia
Great walking tour of the Old Town

As part of my 60th birthday celebrations I wanted to organise a walking tour of Edinburgh for my... read more

Reviewed 8 January 2019
Oakviewstu
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from US$15.66
from US$16.97
from US$22.19
from US$16.07
More Info
All reviews french bulldog private walking tour hour tour old town great tour historical photos jeffrey street royal mile ins and outs his knowledge perfect introduction personal tour hour walk small group past and present ask questions friendly guide
Reviewed 17 December 2015

Overall, my experience with Gareth was excellent. I was lucky enough to have a weekend explorer tour to myself on Sunday morning, and it was more than worth the money and time. Gareth was kind and extremely knowledgable, and was able to give me a great historical overview of the city for the two hours we had. There were so many places I would've passed by and not noticed, or simply not seen had I not taken his tour. I would highly recommend this as a must-do activity for visiting Edinburgh, regardless of whether you're solo, a family/group etc. Especially for my first time in the city, it gave me so much background context. Thanks Gareth!

Date of experience: December 2015
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2015

Thank you so much - I'm really glad you enjoyed the tour! Best wishes and safe travels, G

Reviewed 1 December 2015

I did the walking tour with Gareth on a Sunday, and I have to say we definately had the worst conditions you could possibly have. It was raining like hell. Nevertheless, Gareth walked me through the mysteries and historical facts of Edinburgh, and I had a really great time. He is extremely well informed, knows all important facts about the town and yet you don't get the Impression that you are doing a touristy walking tour. It is personal, informative, and a lot of fun. I can definately recommend Gareths tour to anybody who wants to learn about the city, and see the citz albeit the usual tourist crowds. Next time I come to Edinburgh again, I will for sure do the tour again. Thanks so much for the great time, even though the weather was very, very rainy :)

1  Thank Anna-Maria B
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2015

Sorry we got beaten into submission by the weather, but glad you still found the tour useful and interesting! Safe travels, G

Reviewed 23 November 2015 via mobile

A great way to start of your stay in Edinburgh! We saw both the old and the new town by starting at the castle and ending up at the opposite (Calton) hill. Gareth is very friendly and knowledgeable and bring history to live by showing old paintings and pictures of the city. I would highly recommend this money-well-worth-tour.

2  Thank Fab S

Thanks for your kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed the tour and the rest that Edinburgh has to offer! Safe travels, G

Reviewed 14 November 2015 via mobile

We had a great afternoon - undaunted by Edinburgh's first day of winter - touring with Gareth and Monty. Several locals in the party and we all learned stuff we didn't know and have impressed friends and colleagues with subsequently. Brilliant way to get to know the city beyond the tartan facades of Princes Street.

4  Thank kkfEdinburghScotland

Thanks for your kind words, it was great to spend a little time with your family (in spite of the weather!). Best wishes, G

Reviewed 30 October 2015

Booked two tours with Edinburgh Expert and both were absolutely wonderful!
We had two nights to "do" Scotland and so the first afternoon of our arrival, Gareth and delightful French Bulldog Monty met up with my daughter and I and took us on a wonderful walkabout around Edinburgh.
We were treated to fantastic views along with awesome commentary - and even enjoyed meeting other four-legged Scots during our journey! A most wonderful way to get to know the city in a short period of time!
We can both highly recommend this tour company.
(Also did the most-awesome Lowlands Grand Tour the next day - will review that separately.)

Date of experience: October 2015
3  Thank JoyT668

Thank you so much - we thoroughly enjoyed meeting you and showing off our home! Monty sends you both his love! Safe travels, G