“Best Tour Guide in Scotland - And he does it YOUR way!”

Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours
Ranked #4 of 235 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours provides affordable private and bespoke walking tours of Scotland's capital city, as well as unique personalised visitor information packages. Join a small group tour or combine a Royal Mile tour with a Scotch whisky tasting. All tours led by a knowledgeable and experienced local tour guide.
Reviewed 20 April 2016

My schedule didn’t allow a lot of time in Edinburgh, so I asked my hotel for a referral of a local guide who could show me around. It was my lucky day that they recommended Gareth Davies.

He was awesome! One quick email and he was on it. He listened to what my priorities were and then mapped out a day that met everything I wanted and a lot of other things on top. I left for my trip confident that I’d have a great tour.

And it was! Gareth is fun and easygoing and really knows Edinburgh. He was full of facts about the city and had a wealth of pictures to help illustrate what he was sharing. He had carefully planned a route that covered everything I asked to see and a lot of things I didn’t even know existed. He was responsive and spontaneous. When I was hungry, he immediately had a place to eat. When the sun broke out, he had a bonus walk available to take advantage of the view. He had an action plan to get us around the city easily. And he left me at the end of the day at a top notch whisky shop where he had arranged a tasting.

If you’re going to Edinburgh, you can’t do better. I truly felt like I had an immediate friend and ally in the city.

Highest recommendation!

Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2016

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback - it was my absolute pleasure you show you Edinburgh, and I'm so pleased you enjoyed the day! Safe travels, G

All reviews
"perfect introduction"
in 3 reviews
"introductory tour"

Reviewed 19 April 2016

We went on the walking tour of the old city. Gareth is a very informal and friendly guide, makes the tour interesting, informative and at times humourous.
Takes you off the main tourist area and into the back areas explaining the history and the lives of the people in the "back closes" as well as the main buildings and churches on the Mile.
Would highly recommend Edinburgh Expert.

Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2016

I'm so glad you enjoyed the tour (despite the 'authentic' Scottish weather!) and thank you for your lovely review! Best wishes, and safe travels, G

Reviewed 11 April 2016

I contacted Gareth after reading an article where he was being interviewed as an expert sharing his tips about visiting Edinburgh. We were extremely lucky that he was able to fit us in the very next day.

We had been in Edinburgh for a few days before booking Gareth so I wasn't sure how much he would add to us already walking ourselves on the Royal Mile and around the city, but I was SO PLEASED with Gareth's tour. It was like seeing the same streets with new eyes. I couldn't believe how much new information he shared with us!

Gareth educated and entertained us with all sorts of little details, stories, and bits of history that left a real impact on us. We especially enjoyed seeing Gareth's many old photographs taken at places where we were standing, not just of the buildings (some changed, some not changed so much) but the photos included the people and showed how they were dressed and you got a real sense for the "old Edinburgh" compared to the city today.

Gareth took our group of 3 (mother, father, and teenage son) on a walking tour all around the city for four hours - it was so informative and so much fun. We asked Gareth to bring along Monty, his adorable French Bulldog, which was also great fun! We felt like locals walking "our" dog, while visiting with our buddy Gareth who was showing us around. IT WAS GREAT!

Another thing I liked is that Gareth personalized the tour just for us - after hearing about some of our interests (physics, literature). Nice!

Gareth is charming, personable, intelligent, and, if I may say, oh so historical! He certainly knows all about the history of Edinburgh and had a story for us with every block. Our half-day with Gareth was simply delightful!

I can't recommend Gareth highly enough.

Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2016

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback - Monty and I had a lot of fun with you guys and we're so glad you enjoyed seeing our city with us! Safe travels, G

Reviewed 10 April 2016

This review is long overdue, but I am very happy to finally get it posted - it is so well deserved!!
During our October 2015 trip, my adult daughter and I had just a short time to see the "essence" of Scotland and this tour company turned out to be absolutely the perfect way to do it!
Gareth and Don picked us up in the Mercedes "Herman" right from our B&B and whisked us off for a magical all-day tour of many places in Scotland!
Truly truly the best way to experience so much in such a short period! We saw castles and cathedrals, seasides and fishing villages, quaint towns and historic sites and much much more!
We were driven in luxury to Linlithgow, Stirling, Perth, Dundee, St Andrews, and finally back to Edinburgh - all with stops and meals in between! Words cannot describe the lovely journey, fantastic tour explanations, and professional, fun company all along the way! We even got to feed some gorgeous peacocks on beautiful palace grounds!
Amazing day!!
Thank you both Gareth and Don!! It was the ultimate way to travel in Scotland!

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback - Don and I (and Herman) are really pleased we were able to give you such a memorable experience on your visit to Scotland! (And feeding those peacocks was a highlight for us, too!) Safe travels, G

See more reviews
Reviewed 8 March 2016

10 am. Sunday morning. Edinburgh, bottom of a set of steps carrying a name you'll not forget. And you won't forget the next two hours (well, 2 hrs 20 mins in our case) either. Plus, you'll learn why people say 'He got off scot free' and how the phrase 'a pig's ear' has particular relevance in connection with a certain sculpture.
I like history, and particularly history brought alive..and this walking tour with Gareth is absolutely spot on. We were a small group, and he had us engaged straight away with explanations of how the geographic features of Edinburgh had influenced the development of the town..throwing in stories of riots, haunted houses, and murders solved by telescopic evidence. If you want a cracking two hours of lively conversation with topics jumping all over the place, centred on Edinburgh, you'd possibly dive into a jam packed bar in Morningside. Or...get yourself along to those steps I mentioned, at 10 am on a weekend and do this tour. Even my slightly detached difficult to impress son of 19 said to me afterwards (in a bar) 'That was really impressive...I sent a couple of photos off to my mates'. That..says it all. Recommended to anyone, because there's stacks of history in central Edinburgh, and Gareth has got a tour here that dips in and out of it with photos, stories and imagination.

Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2016

Many thanks for your review - I'm so glad you guys enjoyed the tour, I had a lot of fun too! Best wishes, and safe travels, G