“Don't visit Edinburgh without getting in touch with Edinburgh Expert!”

Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours
Ranked #3 of 274 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours provides affordable private and bespoke walking tours of Scotland's capital city. All tours led by a knowledgeable and experienced local tour guide. Booking ONLY available directly through my website, for the best price and best service, guaranteed!
Reviewed 25 April 2016

I came across Edinburgh Expert when I was booking a surprise weekend away to Edinburgh, having never been before. I struck gold finding Gareth, who also offers an information service for your stay.

Gareth was so helpful during the whole process, frequently updating a personal page with guidance and recommendations such as where to eat, bus routes from our hotel and handy tips for visiting the city. He is quite literally the Edinburgh Expert and his advice was so beneficial to our stay.

The tour itself completely exceeded my expectations. I booked a two hour private tour with Gareth and his gorgeous co-guide Monty. Gareth is kind, polite and full of warmth so it was like walking around with a very well-educated friend instead of a tour guide. He took us to places we never would have found walking around on our own and was full of captivating information and history. Gareth is so passionate about the city and your experience, and his enthusiasm really rubbed off on us.

I will wholeheartedly recommend Edinburgh Expert to everyone who will listen. Thank you Gareth.

Date of experience: April 2016
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2016

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit, and that you found the information service helpful - I had a lot of fun showing you around the city, and Monty was very glad to have met you (though you couldn't tell from his face...!). Safe travels, G

All reviews
"past and present"
"ask questions"
"friendly guide"

Reviewed 25 April 2016 via mobile

Hugely enjoyable and very entertaining with knowledgable guide Gareth. Even our 11 year old son found it very good.... He usually isn't keen on walking...

1  Thank AntonEg

Thank you so much for your kind words, I'm really pleased you all enjoyed the tour! Safe travels, G

Reviewed 24 April 2016

If you are looking for the perfect way to get acquainted with the beautiful city of Edinburgh, then definitely book a tour with Gareth. My friend and I took a private literary tour of the Old and New towns which turned out to be the highlight of our week in Scotland. Gareth brought the great literary figures of Edinburgh to life with his fun and informative tour. Even if you have visited Edinburgh before, you will certainly learn new things about the city by taking one of Gareth's tours.

1  Thank jfreddyc2016
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2016

Thank you so much for your lovely review - I'm so glad you enjoyed the tour, I really enjoyed meeting you both, and am pleased to have been able to show you something of the city I call home! Safe travels, G

Reviewed 23 April 2016

Gareth takes you through old and new town in a small personal group--he has friendly relaxed manner with good knowledge of the various parts of town and able to answer questions well. Great way to get introduced to the city !

Date of experience: April 2016
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2016

Thank you for your lovely feedback, I'm so glad you enjoyed the tour! Enjoy the rest of your stay in Edinburgh, and safe travels home! Best, G

See more reviews
Reviewed 20 April 2016

My schedule didn’t allow a lot of time in Edinburgh, so I asked my hotel for a referral of a local guide who could show me around. It was my lucky day that they recommended Gareth Davies.

He was awesome! One quick email and he was on it. He listened to what my priorities were and then mapped out a day that met everything I wanted and a lot of other things on top. I left for my trip confident that I’d have a great tour.

And it was! Gareth is fun and easygoing and really knows Edinburgh. He was full of facts about the city and had a wealth of pictures to help illustrate what he was sharing. He had carefully planned a route that covered everything I asked to see and a lot of things I didn’t even know existed. He was responsive and spontaneous. When I was hungry, he immediately had a place to eat. When the sun broke out, he had a bonus walk available to take advantage of the view. He had an action plan to get us around the city easily. And he left me at the end of the day at a top notch whisky shop where he had arranged a tasting.

If you’re going to Edinburgh, you can’t do better. I truly felt like I had an immediate friend and ally in the city.

Highest recommendation!

Date of experience: April 2016
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2016

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback - it was my absolute pleasure you show you Edinburgh, and I'm so pleased you enjoyed the day! Safe travels, G