“The very best way to maximize your Edinburgh experience!”

Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours
Ranked #3 of 263 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours provides affordable private and bespoke walking tours of Scotland's capital city. All tours led by a knowledgeable and experienced local tour guide. Booking ONLY available directly through my website, for the best price and best service, guaranteed!
Reviewed 5 January 2017 via mobile

For a couple who has done similar tours in other cities around the world we can emphatically state that Gareth offers THE best tour we have experienced. His knowledge and ability to communicate made our visit to Edinburgh both informative and entertaining.

We booked ahead - Gareth promptly provided plentiful and useful information prior to our arrival - tailoring the pace and content of the day to our interests. One of the things we enjoyed most were the historical photos of certain landmarks that Gareth shared using his iPad.

Many, many thanks for an extraordinary and enlightening day - the dining and shopping recommendations were spot on too!

Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 6 January 2017

Thanks for taking the time to leave such lovely feedback! I'm really pleased you had a good day, and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in the city too - it was absolutely my pleasure to show you around! Safe travels, G

All reviews
"past and present"
"ask questions"
"friendly guide"

Reviewed 3 January 2017

Our family of 5 recently had a great tour with Gareth and Monte. It was the very first thing we did when we landed in Edinburgh. Gareth was very accommodating and met us right at our hotel near Old Town. We enjoyed the walk (two hours), fresh air and history very much. Gareth is very knowledgeable and fun. Monte, the awesome French bulldog was a bonus! I had wanted to end the tour with some whisky tasting somewhere as our family includes 3 grown sons. Gareth also set that up for us at the end of our walking tour. It was fantastic---both the lesson in whisky making, and, of course, the whisky!

Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2017

Thank you so much for your lovely feedback - it was absolutely our pleasure to show you around the city, and we had a lot of fun with you guys too! Safe travels, G

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

The 'free' tours on offer are tempting, but in our experience you often end up in a crowd of 30 or so and don't get the chance to ask all the questions you'd like. Gareth limits numbers to 10 so there's time for everyone to interact with him. His knowledge is extensive and his commentary is entertaining and full of interesting information. Being dog lovers we'd asked him to bring Monty along, which added to the fun.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed the small group experience, thank you for your lovely feedback, and for joining the tour! Monty and I had a great time too! Safe travels, G

Reviewed 24 December 2016 via mobile

We booked Gareth after reading the good reviews on TA and all our group rated him as the "best bit" of a really enjoyable weekend in Edinburgh.
It's obvious he has a real interest in the city and coupled with his good sense of humour , and his warm, friendly, engaging personality he gives you information, stories and sights you would never see or hear on just a wander around the city.
All our group throughly enjoyed the very memorable two and half hour tour, and we all felt we had a much better understanding of the history and various parts of the old and new town and other more diverse parts you would never normally see.
Don't hesitate to contact Gareth on his website , you will not get any better guide for your visit to such a fantastic city.

Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 25 December 2016

Many thanks for such a lovely review! I'm so glad you all enjoyed the walk, and hope that you enjoyed the rest of your weekend in the city too! Safe travels, G

See more reviews
Reviewed 13 December 2016

Ahhh Edinburgh. We loved you so! I decided to surprise my husband Lewis with this private tour and he made it a point to heartily thank me after. My husband had expressed he wanted to do something a little different while there so I did my research on TripAdvisor of course and came across Gareth. We met him and immediately felt at east because he was so easy to talk to. The tour length was great too. He knew all of Edinburgh's secret stories, a lot about the architecture and history. When we asked him an off the wall question he always knew the answer, just a really informed and effortless exchange. He's a humble guy that you can tell really loves where he is and finds it fascinating, so of course that translates into us enjoying it too. I have to give a shout out to the Whiskey Place we met him at. We did a whiskey tasting with Hector (what a hoot) and it finished the night so perfectly. Definitely one of the highlights of our entire 3 week UK trip. Thank you again Gareth! You're an ace.

Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2016

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave such lovely feedback from your tour! It was my absolute pleasure to show you something of the city, and I'll pass on your comments to Hector at the whisky shop too. Best wishes and safe travels, G