“Walk around Edinburgh with an expert!”

Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours
Ranked #3 of 238 Tours in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours provides affordable private and bespoke walking tours of Scotland's capital city, as well as unique personalised visitor information packages. All tours led by a knowledgeable and experienced local tour guide.
Reviewed 27 September 2017

We spent our first jet lagged morning walking around parts of Old Town and New Town with Gareth. It was the perfect introduction to the wonderful city of Edinburgh. Gareth is knowledgeable, kind, funny, welcoming and full of information...both verbal and visual, with his use of historical photos on his iPad which put the sites you are actually walking through into a larger context. We came away understanding WHY there are 'bridges' over dry land,and how the two sides of the city are so distinct. It was a fun, relaxing and engaging tour. And we got extra tips on good places to eat and other sites to visit. I'd advise anyone who wants to learn about the city to sign up with the Edinburgh Expert...he is the real thing!

1  Thank Kath F
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

Thanks for your really lovely feedback - I'm so pleased you enjoyed the walk and I hope you were inspired to explore Edinburgh further! Safe travels, G

All reviews
in 9 reviews
"better understanding"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 25 September 2017

Enjoyed a glorious Sunday morning in Edinburgh with Gareth on his Old Town & New Town tour. I'm an Edinburgh local but still learned huge amounts about this beautiful city. Gareth was a wonderful guide - and very kind to always give us a breather after whenever we'd climbed one of Edinburgh's steeper staircases! Loved the use of old maps, photos, and pictures on the iPad as we walked to give us a real feel for what Edinburgh of yesteryear had looked like.

Gareth is an extremely knowledgeable and entertaining guide, and happy to answer questions. It was a great tour, and I'm sure I'll be booking another one!

Thanks Gareth!

Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Thanks for your lovely feedback - I'm always a little nervous when local people join a walk, but I'm so glad you found our new things and new places in the city! Best wishes, G

Reviewed 22 September 2017 via mobile

I took the royal mile tour with my mum and auntie (both in their 60s) and we all enjoyed it. Starting outside the palace of Holyrood ( where there are toilets to use) we zig zagged across the royal mile working our way up to Edinburgh castle. The royal mile is so busy it was a relief to be exploring the many wynds and closes that fan out from the Main Street. Gareth told some great stories about the history of the place, answered our questions and helped us to understand why Edinburgh is set out how it is. There are a lot of stairs and hills so be prepared with good walking shoes. At the end he recommended a really great place for us to eat and drink just off the royal mile that we would never have found without his advice. I have done a few walking tours around the world and this one was great because of its small size (there was 5 of us on the tour) and interesting historical stories. Thanks Gareth (and Monty the dog).

Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

Thank you so much for your lovely review - it was my pleasure to show you a little of the city, and I'm glad you all enjoyed the walk! Safe travels, G

Reviewed 21 September 2017

I did a walking tour with Gareth during the Festival. It was very enjoyable with a small group. We walked around the old part of the city and there was a lot of interesting information about so many aspects of city life. I would highly recommend.

Thank you for your feedback from the Festival Fringe tours - I'm glad you enjoyed the walk, and the experience of being in a small group! Best wishes, G

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 September 2017

We booked a walking tour with Gareth, and he mentioned that he could bring his small dog Monty along too, if we wanted. We love dogs, so that was fun to have Monty with us during the tour. Monty was great. The tour started over in the newer section of Edinburgh, but fairly quickly we moved over toward old town Edinburgh. Gareth was very, very knowledgeable about the town and its history. A very good overview of the major sites. Gareth was kind and helpful with questions. He also had lots of interesting, funny or even morbid stories about Edinburgh. Gareth kept our group of four well-entertained for several hours, so we really enjoyed the tour. We would highly recommend Gareth’s walking tour to anyone who can get around pretty well walking, and who enjoys discovering all the ins and outs of a beautiful city.

Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Thanks for your lovely feedback - it was our pleasure to show you a little bit of 'our' city, and we hope you were inspired to explore it a little further after the tour! Safe travels, G