Open today: 09:00 - 17:00
Review Highlights
Excellent day out

First - Gareth is a gentleman. We accidentally booked our tour 2 weeks too early, and Gareth turned... read more

Review collected in partnership with this attraction

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Powerbrokers
Melbourne, Australia
Great walking tour of the Old Town

As part of my 60th birthday celebrations I wanted to organise a walking tour of Edinburgh for my... read more

Reviewed 8 January 2019
Oakviewstu
Hertfordshire, United Kingdom

Recommended experiences in and around Edinburgh
from US$15.66
from US$16.97
from US$22.19
from US$16.07
More Info
All reviews french bulldog private walking tour hour tour old town great tour historical photos jeffrey street royal mile ins and outs his knowledge perfect introduction personal tour hour walk small group past and present ask questions friendly guide
Reviewed 28 December 2017

Ok, so maybe one sided, but we were thrilled and taken with Gareth from the first moment we met. We scheduled a half day afternoon tour six months in advance. (I'm a planner) and Gareth set up a special webpage just for us. Talk about setting the tone!

We had a conversational walk around old and new town with plenty of colorful tidbits and depth of rich history. Gareth is a true jewel and we learned so much about the beautiful and storied city of Edinburgh.

After a delightful afternoon, we finished with an education of a different type, and were thrilled with his selection of Jeffrey Street Whiskey for our Scotch School.

Date of experience: July 2017
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2017

Thank you for your lovely feedback - I had a lot of fun showing you both around the city, and I'm glad you found the information service helpful and enjoyed the walk! Safe travels, G

Reviewed 19 December 2017 via mobile

I moved to Edinburgh recently and my parents came for a first visit. The absolute highlight of their trip was our private tour with Gareth. He has a fantastic breadth of knowledge and is a wonderful storyteller.

Date of experience: December 2017
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 20 December 2017

Thanks for such lovely feedback - it was a pleasure to show you all around your new home, and I'm really pleased you enjoyed the walk! Best wishes, G

Reviewed 4 December 2017

I have been in Edinburgh many times as a long-term visitor (we lived there most of a year). A private guided tour is really the best way to get into the history and interesting tidbits if you have the time. When my husband and I returned to visit Edinburgh after many years, we hired Gareth who customized our tour to cover places and topics interesting to us. Some info was a refresher course, and some details we hadn't heard explained before. He enjoys what he does, and is good at it. We spent 3 hours with Gareth, had lunch, then did a bus tour (hop-on, hop-off) in the afternoon to rest our feet. Gareth knew we had the bus tour scheduled, and having been a tour guide for the bus tours, he knew how to plan our walking tour to be different from what we would hear on the bus. Once we had booked our tour through EEWT, Gareth immediately set up private email communication to help us prepare for our visit to Scotland. He advised us on how to get into the city from our hotel, even which train to take, where to catch the train, and he met us as we got off the train. Super easy to connect with him. If you aren't familiar with Scotland, be sure to ask him for helpful tips, like how to dress for the weather, what public toilets cost, when NOT to use an umbrella, where to eat, and whatever you want. He answered all our logistical questions, and was available to advise us throughout the rest of our week in Scotland. If you aren't able to schedule a personal tour, check out his recorded audio tours for download.

Date of experience: October 2017
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2017

Thank you for such lovely feedback from your tour! It was my pleasure to welcome you back to Edinburgh, and I'm really pleased you enjoyed getting reacquainted with the city. Glad you found the information service useful too, and thanks for your kind recommendations! Safe travels, G

Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

I can’t think of a more interesting tour that I have done.
Gareth is very personable and his passion for history is infectious.
I live in Edinburgh but I found out so much about the city’s history.
Gareth gives you a much more detailed insight into Edinburgh’s past and he tells you fantastic stories that you rarely hear by doing other tourist activities. He encourages tourists to explore the closes and cemeteries of Edinburgh which are bursting with history but not as well known as the likes of the Castle.
We went for the 3 hour tour but as it is a private tour it is fairly bespoke. Gareth is very knowledgable and so you could definitely ask him to tell you about anything you are interested in or just take his guidance as to what to see.

Naturally, the star of the show is his adorable French bulldog Monty. He is a fantastic tour companion and puts Gareth’s knowledge of Edinburgh to shame.

I can’t recommend this tour enough.

Date of experience: November 2017
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 28 November 2017

Thank you so much for your kind words - Monty and I had a great time showing you around the city, and we're so pleased that you learned new and interesting things, even as a resident of Edinburgh! Best wishes, G

Reviewed 2 November 2017 via mobile

We booked Gareth for a 2-hours tour of Edinburgh and appreciated his easygoing but very professional attitude. It was fun and at the same time fascinating- all those interesting and sometimes baffling stories about the architectural and cultural development of this city.
Gareth more or less immediately takes up on one's direction of interest. We also found the support by old plans and maps in his tablet which he shows "on site" absolutely helpful.
Thank you, Gareth, we loved the experience!
Birgit

Date of experience: October 2017
Gareth D, Owner at Edinburgh Expert Walking Tours, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2017

Thank you for such lovely feedback - it was my pleasure to give you a short introduction to the city! Safe travels, G