“OUTSTANDING SERVICE AND VALUE”
Review of Melrose Restaurant

Cuisines: International, British
Neighbourhood: New Town
Neighbourhood: New Town
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Had the pleasure of having a retirement meal for one of our members of staff along with 13 other members of staff and we could not have had a better time. The set menu £25.00 for 3 courses was just fantastic value and the choice is fantastic too. I challenge anyone anywhere in Edinburgh to get better value and quality for this price. We ordered house red, white & rose wine and it was lovely and very competitively priced too. I have walked past the window on many occasions and not bothered to go in because I tought it looked fancy and pretentious, but I could not have been further from the truth, the staff are great and the food fantastic so what else could you ask for. Keep up the good work and thank you to everyone for making the night one to remember for all the right reasons.

Reviewed 2 April 2013

The restaurant at the Roxburghe Hotel used to be very smart many years ago. This is sadly no longer the case; it's bland, uninspiring and feels like its part of a big soulless chain. There are many other much better restaurants nearby.

3  Thank Matthew303
Reviewed 25 January 2013

Food was good, especially the breakfasts,which were excellent, but the staff were inexperienced particularly the younger staff. It was a little disappointing that they did not have either of two wines we ordered, and meant that we had to have more expensive ones. No discount offered.
The ambience would have been helped by having some music playing in the background. And the upholstery was looking a little tired and a couple of chairs were stained.

3  Thank MytripsLincolnshire
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Arrived late in Edinburgh after an 8 hour journey by train. Our booking at the restaurant (in the hotel) was for 7.30 but they were quite happy to delay it for 30 mins whilst we checked in to the hotel and changed. The meal was very good - I had smoked salmon followed by pork medallions whilst my husband had "haggis neeps and tatties" followed by venison. My main criticism was that the service was poor. The apperitif was delivered quickly but the glasses were left on the table till the end of the meal. My husband asked for more water but it was very slow being delivered. At one point the waitress was more interested in chatting to one table of diners than in delivering the orders. There were only about 14 people eating with 4 staff so service should have been better - what would it have been like if full! If they get this sorted then it would be worth visiting as the food was very good.

1  Thank ladywh0lunches
Reviewed 16 November 2012

This is located in the Roxburghe hotel. I satyed for almost a week in Roxburghe but did not desire to go to Melrose. The brealfast here was definitely good and so was the coffee.