“Classy establishment”

Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Stockbridge & Dean Village
Description: Up and coming chef Jason Gallagher has done a fine job in turning the former haunt of local 'celebrity' chef Juliet Lawrence Wilson into a luxurious showcase of his own exciting style of Modern European cuisine. The basement space really is a lovely little restaurant for a romantic meal or special occasion. Black-painted walls decorated with modern art work well with plush golden upholstered chairs, thick white table linen and fairy lights to create an especially intimate atmosphere. Gallagher works with fresh, seasonal ingredients so the menu often changes, but the offerings are guaranteed to be indulgent and of the kind that feel like they're a real treat to be eating. Perfect service too.
Reviewed 19 November 2013

This place appeared posh initially however it proved to be very reasonably priced. We went there for Sunday evening dinner. The menu has a very good variety and the duck is particularly delicious. Food is well presented and portions are generous. The staff were very attentive and friendly, taking our coats and very obliging in arranging a taxi for us following our meal. However the tables were quite tightly packed in and I found it difficult to get out from the table to use the bathroom.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

This restaurant was recommended to us from some friends that had been previously. It is more expensive but you get what you pay for. We went mid week for 8pm. it was busy luckily we had pre-booked in advance for this. The food was very well presented and absolutely delicious. There is a good choice of meals, you can however get a set menu which is slightly cheaper. Highly recommend.

1  Thank Wee-yin05
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I eat my way through the menu, all the courses were great. This must be the best meal I've ever eaten.

1  Thank Joesoap2013
Reviewed 31 October 2013

We dined here earlier in the week and all had amazing meals. Everything was well cooked and bursting with flavour. We tried to get in to this restaurant about 4 times during our stay and managed to get a booking on a Tuesday evening. I recommend you book in advance so you can be guaranteed a table. A must dining experience in Edinburgh.

1  Thank rocky99999
Reviewed 28 October 2013

My husband and I went to Edinburgh for a city break over the weekend. We wanted a special meal and found this restaurant on Tripadvisor. It certainly lived up to the reviews.

Our table was booked for 7pm. The restaurant was just starting to get busy but we were still given a choice of a few tables to sit at. The food is amongst the best I have eaten. I went for the Scallops to start, Lamb for my main and Cheese Board to finish, all chosen from the a la carte menu. Each was fantastic as were the extra taster dishes in between to cleanse the pallet.

If you are after a leisurely meal with fantastic quality/service and at a reasonable price, I would highly recommend this restaurant. A meal for two from the main menu and a few glasses of wine will cost around £100-£120. There is a set menu, which also looked lovely and came at a cheaper price.

We can't wait to return.

1  Thank Sunlover075