“Deep fried Mars bar, yum yum...”
Review of ClamShell

ClamShell
Ranked #905 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$37 - US$37
Cuisines: Pizza, Fast food
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 5 June 2014

During our tour, our guide pointed out this little chip shop and mentioned that they sell deep fried mars bars. Never had one, but wanted to try it. Me and my friend went in and I looked a bit clueless, so the lady behind the counter said: " I know what you want, you want a deep fried mars bar!" Oh yes I did and I loved it. It's not a beauty, but the melted caramel keeps you for the rest of the day...the ultimate sugar shock.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed on the royal mile over the Easter weekend and the clam shell fish and chip shop was close by and looked like a good choice to get a nice supper. I could not be more wrong the fish and chips were the worst i have ever had in my life they were saturatedin grease and disgustingly soggy, two things need to happen the owners need to change the oil more frequently and fry at the correct temperature. The following morning a large van pulled up outside the clam shell with pre prepared fish and chips so this answers a lot the food is not even fresh. To top this off not only was this the worst fish and chip supper I have had but also the most expensive at a price of over £32 for five people it would actually be cheaper to eat out in a restaurant. Last word of warning two of our party were ill within 24 hours of eating here so beware and avoid at all costs. It really upsets me to think visitors to Scotland from America and China are ordering fish and chips here and think this is what they should taste like, please be aware that this is not a reflection of our fish and chips they should taste light crisp and fresh not the soggy mess served up here YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

2  Thank JanetteD
Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

I visited on a Friday night, paid 11 pounds for two fish and chips, and wished I hadn't the fish was over greasy and tasted of just oil. I wouldn't suggest going, poor quality over priced

2  Thank Duane M
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Well I suppose it's because it's in the Royal Mile but the price is high for the relatively small portion size. There are far better chip shops elsewhere.

2  Thank Ed_K40
Reviewed 2 March 2014

A little chippie in a great location on the Royal Mile. I would recommend giving the deep fried Mars a try...they also do twix and snickers (!). Even if you are not a fan of the chocolate, when in Scotland....