“Resting on Laurels”

Neighbourhood: New Town
Scotland
“Resting on Laurels”
Reviewed 20 November 2013

I was a bit disappointed in this café. I felt I 'knew it' from frequent mentions in Alexander McCall Smith's Scotland Street books. I know that is a bit silly, but I also think that this place gets a lot of custom from people like me. It is a bit down at heel and doesn't seem to be trying very hard. We had to wait for conversation between staff and friends popping in and out to get any service. Then you were made to feel as if you didn't matter. The bow tie man needs a reality check I think. There are plenty of other cafes of the same ilk doing a better job. I am a cake expert, by the way, and I didn't rate them!

• Visited November 2013

Santa Fe, New Mexico
“A delightful local place”
Reviewed 4 October 2013

My husband and I stayed around the corner from Glass and Thompson in August during the International Festival. Glass and Thompson became our favorite place for a quick cup of excellent coffee and a sweet or a more leisurely stop for lunch, where we sat outside and watched the always interesting people go by. The service could sometimes be slow, but the food was always fresh and tasty and the people working there or drinking coffee interesting. It's not a fast food place, but goodness knows there are enough of those around, and a place where I feel welcome and find good food is a place I will return to. As often as possible.

• Visited August 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Pleasant”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Glass & Thompson was the first 'local' cafe that we visited, having moved into the area in June. While it has fantastic coffee and a delicious cake/lunch selection, and the staff were equally pleasant, it is maybe not as 'kid-friendly' as some of the other cafes in the area (I have two children under six). I would definitely return here with friends, however, especially on a sunny day as the outside seating is unrivalled!

• Visited June 2013
“One of the Lucky Ones?”
Reviewed 20 July 2013

I visited here for a change and because it had seats outside (good in this weather!). I am not usually one to visit without checking reviews first but I decided to be bold! I have since read the reviews but did not experience any of the negative comments people speak of so I suppose it is a bit hit or miss!
The seating outside is near a busy road so not very scenic, however it is far away enough so that you don't feel you are amongst fumes or anything! :)
I had the soup and half a sandwich deal for £5.95 (which I found very reasonable). The soup was delicious (spicy tomato and chorizo) and plentiful, and the sandwich was delicious. The softest seeded bread I have ever eaten with cheese and delicious, tender roast ham- I don't even like ham usually!
We were served by the man in the bow tie, who I have read comments about on here, and I found him to be pleasant enough, except he took our order with his back to us- body language is an important aspect of customer service! He also complimented a lady's dress who was paying before us, and as she walked away he then told ME that her dress did not go well with her leggings underneath it! I found this to be hilarious, and also true, however this is perhaps not the best type of comment to pass when working in customer service (stick to topics like the weather, how busy it's been, The Fringe etc.)! I did fear what comments he may have made on my outfit once I had left...

Overall, this place is good to stop in at if you are passing and want a quick, tasty bite, and to sit outside. I really enjoyed my meal and I would go back if the soup and sandwich deal stays, and I was sure my outfit would not be criticised! I had a pleasant enough experience overall, I am tempted to go back purely to ask for their tomato and chorizo soup recipe...

• Visited June 2013
Lee's Summit, Missouri
“Lovely cafe”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We had a delicious lunch in this small cafe. Try the brownies! So good. We had a delightful conversation with the owner. Everyone was so welcoming.

Visited June 2013