“Fantastic”

Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Leith
Reviewed 1 August 2012 via mobile

My partner and I booked well I'm advance and were not disappointed with our first Michelin star experience. The food was perfect throughout (we both had the tasting menu) with staff very attentive yet unobtrusive. It seemed that every time I even thought about my glass of water being empty, an arm would appear and refill it! There was a warning on the menu that our meal would take at least two hours but that was fine for what in the end was at least eight courses - perfectly paced at two and a half hours. We liked the view of the kitchen and the meal was perfectly presented with a varied selection of surprises. Probably a very occasional treat at the price for us but worth it.

1  Thank Derby_Tony

Reviewed 31 July 2012

As a special treat to celebrate our engagement my parents took us for a meal at The Kitchin. They'd been before and had told us how amazing it was - they weren't wrong! From the moment we went in we felt welcome, even though we'd arrived a little early for our table.

I was a little scared to be adventurous at first, wanting to order a beef dish but as we had a table later on at night some of the dishes that we were going to order had already sold out. This turned out to be a good thing though as I opted for something a bit more 'daring'. I had 'Boned and rolled pig’s head, served with roasted tail of langoustine and a crispy ear salad'. This dish was gorgeous and I am so glad that I tried it. The presentation was amazing - like a work of art that you didn't want to destroy by eating it! Desert was the best I have ever eaten - Glazed lemon tart served with a lemon macaroon and creme fraiche sorbet. Stunning dish - I don't know if anything will ever top it.

I would highly recommend visiting The Kitchin. We were blown away by the high level of service, particularly with a lady who was very knowledgeable about the wines on offer. Although we paid £60 per bottle I can say that it truly was worth it - you could tell it was quality wine and complimented the meal, just as we'd been told.

Beautiful decor and fantastic atmosphere. We were lucky enough to get a table right at the window so we could watch the chefs at work. This was amazing to see and if you can get the chance of sitting here you've got to go for it!

The only regret from our night out was that we didn't get to properly meet Tom when we could have had the chance. We did get a hello when we first walked through the door though as he greeted guests - so we were still chuffed!

First class food. First class service.

1  Thank Kirsten_Garvey
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My boyfriend and I went to Edinburgh for a long weekend. Having read about The Kitchin and seen Tom on the television multiple times, we decided to splash out for lunch. I'm so glad we did!! This is easily the best meal I have ever eaten. We chose the set menu with the wine and cheese included, which was pricey, but worth every penny. The food was served quickly and with a nice description of what was on the plate from the wait staff. The wine choices were superb, especially with the desserts. After finishing our food and paying the bill, we decided to pop into the bar for some cocktails. My other half is not a whiskey drinker, but was keen to try some whilst we were in town. The barman was extremely helpful in selecting a whiskey to ease him into it and the cocktails he prepared were delightful.

I simply cannot fault the food or the service. Tom also came out of the kitchen and spoke to every single table. There was a lady in there celebrating her 80th birthday and she was thrilled to have him come over for a chat. I will definitely be going back.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

The finest example of how to prepare the less common ingredients and extract fantastic flavours.The cuts of meat and game not usually found in top restaurants are served in the most delicate and satisfying presentations. The temptation to be adventurous in ordering is fully rewarded with outstanding and unique flavour combinations. No other restaurant in the city produces this variety to this high standard. If anyone does not enjoy the experience they should stick to fillet steak or KFC.

The kitchen is supported by friendly, cheery staff who also succeed in almost perfect service.

Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

Visited today and went for the set lunch with matching wines.

I can't compliment Tom and his team enough, everything was just amazing, the food, service, wines and atmosphere.

I would definitely recommend and look forward to visiting again very soon.