“Good experience but not the best”
Review of The Kitchin

The Kitchin
Ranked #18 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$0 - US$199
Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Leith
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We came here for our first anniversary weekend and although we enjoyed ourselves, I do not think that The Kitchin matches Number One at The Balmoral in any shape or form. The restaurant itself is not as intimate and operates more like a factory floor workshop with each of the tables. What I didn't like was that we did not have a dedicated Sommelier-different waiters and waitresses brought the wine and, although the selection was lovely, it did not feel like the knowledge was learned: more rehearsed. We also had 3-4 different people serving us food.

The pea veloute and the razor clam dish was simply superb but I was not sure about the Pigs head (reminded me of the Lord of the Flies) or the veal sweetbreads. We also felt that the lobster (for an added supplement) had too much going on which overpowered the anticipated delicacy of the dish. In our opinion, all it needed was the escargot butter. I also think I would have preferred if the waitress asked if I wanted to see the lobster before it was cooked. This was done automatically and I personally found it quite disconcerting. We also felt the portions were huge for a tasting menu and we were simply too full-uncomfortably so. The other dampener was that we had no real discussion about our cheese course-we weren't asked what we liked or given much of an explanation about the cheeses that were chosen for us.

Overall we did have a lovely evening and we are glad we went but it was nothing special. We much preferred 21212 or our favourite, Number One at The Balmoral.

2  Thank Laxmiandsimon
Write a ReviewReviews (2,998)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The food at this restaurant is divine. Fresh local produce put together in interesting combinations. The mackerel starter that I had here was the best starter I've ever had anywhere. The staff were very attentive and knowledgeable about food. You even know exactly where your food comes from thanks to a map that they give you. Not cheap but good value. The quality is second to none. Ideal for a special occasion or even when you just feel like treating yourself.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

What a pleasure to have dinner at the Kitchin in the heart of Leith , Edinburgh. On arrival greeted by very helpful staff who throughout our dinner we were well attended.
We chose the Chefs Classic tasting menu and I had the Seasonal tasting menu.
Food was delicious from North Sea hake to saddle of rabbit to Strawberry Crowdie cheesecake on the seasonal tasting menu to Razor Clams , Shellfish Rockpool and Lemon and Yoghurt lemon tart on the classic tasting menu. Coffee and petit fours finished a wonderful eating experience.
If Edinburgh travel down to The Kitchin you will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Our party of four travelled from West Sussex to Edinburgh just to have a meal in this restaurant and it did not disappoint! We chose the £75 tasting menu which was absolutely delicious and as other reviewers have said, experienced the very best of fresh, often local, Scottish produce. We would like to have had the menu at the start of the meal instead of being presented with it at the end - was that just a mistake? Service was discreet and very professional. We enjoyed being able to see Tom at work in the kitchen!! I was very much hoping that he would circulate amongst the diners though too! The two men decided to have the wine pairings but felt on balance that they would have preferred to choose a good bottle - or two! - themselves. That is not a criticism of the wines though - they are both very choosy!! So all in all it was a really enjoyable evening and we do hope that we will be able to revisit the restaurant again - but at almost 500 miles away it is a long way to go!! By the way - reservations are advisable!

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Kitchin, in the old dock area of Leith, is about a 15 minute taxi ride from the center of Edinburgh. It is here that Tom Kitchin presents the best of Scotland’s seafood, livestock and vegetable gardens. Your server will even provide you with a culinary map of Scotland that shows you where each lobster, fowl, and asparagus spear originates.

Service has a professional formality that also welcomes and relaxes the diner. The food starts with a complimentary crudité that kicks off your “taste of Scotland” with the sweetest and freshest summer vegetables from around Moffat. The wines are incredible and expertly paired with each dish, if requested. Please request it. You won’t be disappointed.

Entrees showcase the best of Scotland- Halibut, Cod and Turbot from northern seas along Durness, Sweetbreads from the River Don, and langoustines from the Sound of Mull. Scotland is lucky to have such wonderful foods and Edinburgh is lucky to have such talented chef like Tom Kitchin. I look forward to my next meal at Kitchin

1  Thank AustinGentleman