“Terrific Lunch”

Ranked #18 of 2,458 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$0 - US$199
Cuisines: French, European, British, Scottish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Livingston, United Kingdom
“Terrific Lunch”
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Went for lunch with my wife had the set lunch absolutely terrific, the staff were very attentive and pleasant. The whole experience was great.From the crisp bread selection with cream cheese, the cold pea soup, Warm sea trout pate with Mussels, The Lamb, and the the caramel desert, I could not fault any of it. I would also say I was pleasantly surprised at the portion sizes, It certainley felt like a special event. Will definitely go back.

1 Thank Smithy0606

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
London, England, United Kingdom
“Too caught up in their own celebrity”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband and I went here for dinner after booking 6 months in advance to get a Saturday night during August. The welcome was great and we were invited to have a drink in the bar. The menus came to us and the taster menu was detailed but as a "surprise" without any details at all of what the courses would contain. My husband convinced me to go with it but I must admit to being slightly nervous about ordering a £130 a head set menu including matching wine without having a clue what would be put in front of me. The result was some courses that I really enjoyed but others which I wouldn't have wanted if I'd known what to expect. I appreciate that the restaurant likes to use seasonal produce but it does feel like they make all the decisions and you are expected to be grateful to be a part of it. One of my courses came up and unfortunately there was a hair baked into the food. The waiter immediately whisked it away and replaced it with a new course about 10 minutes later but by then my husband had finished his. I did expect an apology or a gesture on the bill at the end of the night but there wasn't even an acknowledgement. Overall I was disappointed - the food was beautifully presented and well cooked as you would expect, but at £300 for two people I wanted special and it wasn't that. We have eaten at other restaurants of a comparable standard and left feeling overwhelmed and already planning our next visit - sadly this was quite the opposite.

3 Thank Moonski81
Pasadena, California
“Fried brain and rabbit”
Reviewed 17 August 2014

Lovely atmosphere and great service. I had a surprise tasting menu.. Most of which was very well prepared and beautifully presented. For fine dining it hits all the bells and whistles.. I tried a surprise tasting seasonal menu and my partner got a vegetarian menu. Both were nice but, a few items I wouldn't necessarily consider seasonal. I mean, are calf brains more abundant and fresher in August then they are in January? Not sure. Is rabbit more available in August then October? Not sure.. Maybe the accompaniments were seasonal? While most of the surprise elements of the set course menu were welcome, a few I would not have ordered off a menu if presented with those choices. My advice would be to order from their a la carte menu if you're not familiar with certain types of game or animal organs. Or try their vegetarian tasting menu as it seemed to be full of delightful surprises. We got a table directly below a window viewing the kitchen. I enjoyed seeing all the kitchen staff and chefs preparing things but, for a more romantic setting try a table in the main dining area..

UK
“Amazing Value Lunch - Great Food”
Reviewed 16 August 2014 via mobile

For £28 you get three courses but it's also the extras such as the beautiful bread and amuse Bouche which make it such good value. The food is of a very high standard and the atmosphere is very relaxed. We chose to have the wine flight which, although almost the same price as the lunch, complimented the food perfectly. The staff are extremely knowledgeable about the food and wine. I will definitely return and I also recommend Castle Terrace - the sister restaurant.

London, United Kingdom
“Edinburgh's finest”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

At last we managed to get six of us in for lunch. The wait was definitely worth it.
We received a complimentary glass of champagne each while waiting in the bar area, then were shown to our table and although one of us is wheelchair bound the staff were all incredibly helpful in ensuring we all had plenty of room.
We all chose the set 3course set-lunch with paired wines.
Each course was beautifully presented and the taste was sublime, this is why you come for a special meal.
The paired wines definitely matched our choice of food and although we were in the restaurant for over three hours and it was very busy there was no pressure on us to leave.
If you want something special this is the place to come.