“THE BEST !!!!”

Price range: US$0 - US$199
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Leith
Description: The Kitchin presents modern British seasonal cuisine influenced by French cooking techniques and an appreciation of the best quality ingredients available from Scotland's fantastic natural larder. The restaurant’s philosophy ‘From Nature to Plate’, is a true reflection of Tom’s passion for the finest, freshest Scottish seasonal produce and the cooking at the restaurant reflects Tom’s training under some of the world’s best chefs blended with his own Scottish heritage.
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I have been here about Six times in the last couple of years , and never had any complaint about the staff or the food , not even the smallest grumble . The food is amazing and the staff very friendly . It's not cheap , but it's worth every single penny !!!

Write a ReviewReviews (3,128)

Reviewed 19 August 2014

We walked in without reservations, had a beautiful lunch and did not pay an outrageous price. Service was great and we were able to watch Tom cook through the glass wall. Flavors were just right. I would go back, but it seems dinner is a bit more expensive than the lunch we had. Completion of the trolley system has increased volume, I believe. Nature to table philosophy is a plus.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

My daughter and I had the lunch menu with accompanying wine which was excellent value. We ordered homemade lemonade while waiting for our table and this came with a selection of flatbreads and a dip.

Lunch included warm bread and local butter, and an amuse bouche. All the waiters and the sommelier described the food and drink in detail and the whole afternoon was very enjoyable. We finished with tea and coffee which included petit fours.

Highly recommended and we will be returning with the rest of our family!

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Went for lunch with my wife had the set lunch absolutely terrific, the staff were very attentive and pleasant. The whole experience was great.From the crisp bread selection with cream cheese, the cold pea soup, Warm sea trout pate with Mussels, The Lamb, and the the caramel desert, I could not fault any of it. I would also say I was pleasantly surprised at the portion sizes, It certainley felt like a special event. Will definitely go back.

1  Thank Smithy0606
Reviewed 17 August 2014

My husband and I went here for dinner after booking 6 months in advance to get a Saturday night during August. The welcome was great and we were invited to have a drink in the bar. The menus came to us and the taster menu was detailed but as a "surprise" without any details at all of what the courses would contain. My husband convinced me to go with it but I must admit to being slightly nervous about ordering a £130 a head set menu including matching wine without having a clue what would be put in front of me. The result was some courses that I really enjoyed but others which I wouldn't have wanted if I'd known what to expect. I appreciate that the restaurant likes to use seasonal produce but it does feel like they make all the decisions and you are expected to be grateful to be a part of it. One of my courses came up and unfortunately there was a hair baked into the food. The waiter immediately whisked it away and replaced it with a new course about 10 minutes later but by then my husband had finished his. I did expect an apology or a gesture on the bill at the end of the night but there wasn't even an acknowledgement. Overall I was disappointed - the food was beautifully presented and well cooked as you would expect, but at £300 for two people I wanted special and it wasn't that. We have eaten at other restaurants of a comparable standard and left feeling overwhelmed and already planning our next visit - sadly this was quite the opposite.

3  Thank Moonski81