“Where's my goat's cheese?”
Review of Ciao Roma

Ciao Roma
Ranked #379 of 2,505 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Where's my goat's cheese?”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

Firstly we ordered garlic bread and my husband jovially pointed out that there were two of us sharing it so he said "Don't bring three slices like other places do". So, how many slices arrived - yes, three! Ok, we were perfectly able to cut one piece in half however the next balls up really took the biscuit.

My pizza, which I order because it had goat's cheese in the ingredients, arrived without any goat's cheese. On pointing this out to the waiter, he said "The chefs are the experts"! What? I had to point out that, expert or not, the goat's cheese pizza had none on it and I could tell because 1) there was no taste of goat's cheese and 2) goat's cheese doesn't melt like other cheese so I'd be able to see it if it was there. Then they took my plate away and added the goat's cheese to my pizza then brought it back with no apology.

While this was happening I noticed a woman sending her fish back because it wasn't cooked.

It wasn't the cleanest looking restaurant either. I certainly would return here.

Visited August 2014
1 Thank Karen C

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Taunton
“Basic fare”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

There's a pleasant welcome at this central Edinburgh restaurant which serves a basic range of pasta and pizza. The food is OK but nothing special and it's OK for a basic lunch or dinner.

• Visited May 2014
CiaoRomaManagement, Owner at Ciao Roma, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Ciao Roma. Thank you for your review & we hope to see you again in the future!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“terrible service”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

our meal took over 2 hours to get through, for mediocre pizza for the kids and something cured and salted that was supposed to be raw beef which was not. When some constructive feedback was offered to the owner on how he could improve he blamed everyone but himself. Sad really. Take a miss on this cafeteria.

• Visited August 2014
I am sorry to hear you were so disappointed with your visit to Ciao Roma. We are incredibly busy during the festival period, which may have attributed to your wait for food. Thank you for your feed back.
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
“A bit disappointing - great desserts though!”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Our visit to this restaurant was a bit disappointing, although the desserts did make up for poor main courses and slow service.
When I booked a table I explained to the restaurant staff that we would be pushed for time as our table was booked for 8pm and we had to be up at Edinburgh Castle for 9.15pm for the Tattoo. I asked if we could choose our menu prior to arrival saving us some time. I was told this wasn't necessary as 1 hr 15 mins was ample time for a 2 course meal.
We actually arrived early at 7.45pm and we were shown to a table immediately. We placed our orders at 7.55pm and our meals did not come until 8.30pm. I ordered Lasagne and my partner had a pizza. The pizza was okay, nothing special but the lasagne was mainly pasta and sauce. There was very little steak mince as it is advertised as steak mince lasagne. I also thought the portion size was quite small.
We were keen to have an ince cream dessert as we had heard good reports about the homemade ice cream and we ordered 2 sundaes which came very quickly. Although we felt a bit rushed eating them I must say they were absolutely delicious.
I wouldn't rush back for the food but I would stop in again for an ice cream dessert.
A busy restaurant, with busy staff but perhaps just a bit too busy for us when we didn't have time to sit and wait. Shame as it has probably stopped us visiting here again for food.

• Visited July 2014
I am sorry to hear you were disappointed with your visit to Ciao Roma - during the festival we are extremely busy - I can only apologise for the wait you experienced & ask that you do visit us again on another occasion to give us a chance to make up for the delays you experienced. Thank you for your kind comments regarding our ice cream & we do hope to see you again in the future!
New York City, New York
“Good food and nice ambiance”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Been here twice. Good food, reasonable prices and nice ambiance.

I've tried the spaghetti carbonara and the truffle risotto here: both good with the risotto being better than the carbonara (: since I'd exclude onions from the carbonara :) in my opinion. Portions are adequate. I'm very happy they have the usual chili oil or pepperoncino oil available which is good to give certain dishes (: not truffle risotto :) a bit of pazzazz. Prices are standard and affordable @ £10 / $16 or so per main dish. Expect the bill to be a minimum of £14 / $19 for pasta main, cola and 10% tip. A 10% tip is often given at service restaurants in Edinburgh.

Staff are pleasant and service is good enough.

The ambiance is very classic with statues of Hermes / Mercury, nude female figures, some nice paintings and lots of there decoration that I find somewhat typical of the Italian version of the "classic" style of decor. I particularly liked the fact that they have a Squier Stratocaster autographed by Ron Wood of the Rolling Stones on display in the restaurant. Apparently the owner bought this at charity auction. I was slightly surprised that it's a Fender Squier and not the significantly higher priced Fender USA Standard Stratocaster which is what a lot of professionals tend to prefer not that it matters as much as the person playing. Anyway, Ronnie Wood's guitar is there :).

I also dropped by fairly often for the ice cream during my daily walk around the town and I think the ice cream's pretty good especially in waffle cones. Some cute service personnel too! ;)

Recommended overall.

• Visited July 2014
I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visits to Ciao Roma - thank you for your kind comments & we hope to see you again in the future!