“Food average, decor different.....”
Review of Ciao Roma

Ciao Roma
Ranked #397 of 2,654 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We went in expecting a small Restaurant, from the great 'Hispaniola' façade outside, in fact it's quite large, on two floors. The décor theme is pirates/ ship wrecks, complete with a treasure chest in the floor, Pirate manikins and a skeleton in a hanging cage (which might put some off their dinner, I guess) It was busy, but we got a table (wobbly, which made eating interesting.) Nothing really bad to say, but nothing really good either. My Pasta was OK (bit light on the chicken) my friends was OK, but nothing special. Bit cheaper than Gordon's Trattoria, as it's off the Mile, but not sure I'd rush back.

CiaoRomaManagement, Owner at Ciao Roma, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Thank you for your review - your comments have been noted & we do hope to see you in the future!

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Arrived around 6:00 looking for a quick dinner between Fringe events. Service was prompt and the food and wine were good value. Tables were perhaps a little too close together but we have often had the same in more expensive establishments. First time in this restaurant and would go back during a future visit.

i am pleased to hear you enjoyed your visit to Ciao Roma. Thank you for your comments & we look forward to seeing you again in the future!

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Firstly we ordered garlic bread and my husband jovially pointed out that there were two of us sharing it so he said "Don't bring three slices like other places do". So, how many slices arrived - yes, three! Ok, we were perfectly able to cut one piece in half however the next balls up really took the biscuit.

My pizza, which I order because it had goat's cheese in the ingredients, arrived without any goat's cheese. On pointing this out to the waiter, he said "The chefs are the experts"! What? I had to point out that, expert or not, the goat's cheese pizza had none on it and I could tell because 1) there was no taste of goat's cheese and 2) goat's cheese doesn't melt like other cheese so I'd be able to see it if it was there. Then they took my plate away and added the goat's cheese to my pizza then brought it back with no apology.

While this was happening I noticed a woman sending her fish back because it wasn't cooked.

It wasn't the cleanest looking restaurant either. I certainly would return here.

1  Thank Karen C
Reviewed 5 August 2014

There's a pleasant welcome at this central Edinburgh restaurant which serves a basic range of pasta and pizza. The food is OK but nothing special and it's OK for a basic lunch or dinner.

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit to Ciao Roma. Thank you for your review & we hope to see you again in the future!

Reviewed 2 August 2014

our meal took over 2 hours to get through, for mediocre pizza for the kids and something cured and salted that was supposed to be raw beef which was not. When some constructive feedback was offered to the owner on how he could improve he blamed everyone but himself. Sad really. Take a miss on this cafeteria.

I am sorry to hear you were so disappointed with your visit to Ciao Roma. We are incredibly busy during the festival period, which may have attributed to your wait for food. Thank you for your feed back.