“Honestly SO happy I went here.”
Review of David Bann

David Bann
Ranked #150 of 2,528 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Old Town
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Honestly SO happy I went here.”
Reviewed 5 December 2013

My boyfriend and I were in Edinburgh for a few days and for our Anniversary night he wanted to take me somewhere special and boy did he get that right!
I'm a veggie (he's not) and in Cardiff we don't have any restaurants that are vegetarian (only a few hippy or indian cafes) so for me, I was in heaven!
I've never ever been spoiled for choice, I wanted everything! It was a candlelit, romantic restaurant, had nice wine and a delicious starter and main.
Really lovely food, the portions were a good size (was too full for a desert) I just wish I could go back again.

• Visited December 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
United Kingdom
“Not quite as good as previous visits”
Reviewed 2 December 2013

I love David Bann's but on this occasion, I felt a little underwhelmed. The main meal (parsnip and blue cheese pudding) was superb. However the accompaniments were a let down. Luke warm beetroot and butter beans I suspect had been sat on the plate waiting in the kitchen. The roast potatoes resembled boiled potatoes that had been fried off in a pan. The desserts were pretty average. Service was good and the atmosphere was the same as ever. Maybe I just caught them on an off day. I will of course still go back.

• Visited December 2013
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Having heard lots of good reviews on this restaurant, we decided to give it a try. Although the service and food presentation was great, the food itself was disappointing. Even the huge portion sizes didn't make up for this.

• Visited November 2013
Leeds
“three days on, I'm still thinking about this food!”
Reviewed 26 November 2013

Following a recommendation from a local shopkeeper, we managed to get the last table on a Saturday evening. Service, setting, food - outstanding., It was a busy night so quite noisy (lots of hard surfaces) and we prefer quiet places, however, this experience was SO good, we didn't care! We had a charming waiter (Bob) who despite being rushed off his feet, made time for a chat...and then came the food. Stop reading this. Start booking a table!

• Visited October 2013
Falkland, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Great food, shame about the service”
Reviewed 24 November 2013

First time visitor. Heard lots about it.

Can't fault the food - superb on all 3 courses. Definitely recommend for food - well done kitchen staff.

The serving staff however - not so good on 3 counts:
1. I had a chipped wine glass. When I notified a member of staff they replaced it but without any apology or sign of concern. Just a matter of fact "Oh OK".
2. As we finished out desert course the staff were taking the candles and other items off the unoccupied tables and removing used items from our table with unnecessary haste, as if to say we are closing soon we want you to leave. This despite several tables still being occupied.
3. We weren't even offered coffee! Presumably for the same reason as above.
All very disappointing and spoiled an otherwise very fine meal.
I should have specified our tip was for the kitchen staff.

Great food, shame about the service.

• Visited November 2013