“Best vegetarian restaurant in edinburgh”
Review of David Bann

David Bann
Ranked #157 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Price range: US$0 - US$40
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: Old Town
“Best vegetarian restaurant in edinburgh”
Reviewed 28 April 2014 via mobile

Amazing food and is definitely the best veg restaurant in edinburgh by far. There's not many of them so it's great that we have one of this quality.

A very warm welcome when we visited on a Friday at 3pm. There's were another 3 tables with a mix of couples, family and a single person. Whilst it was quiet the atmosphere was welcoming.

My wife is veggie however I'm not so I was a little worried about it being too 'veggie'. However I was pleasantly surprised by the menu and could easily have eaten anything. I would therefor recommend David Bann for veggies and those looking for something a little different.

On the practical side if your not good on your feet or wheelchair bound you may find it difficult accessing the toilets. They are in the basement accessed by numerous doors, stairs and hallways.

1 Thank Ingramgd

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Dalkeith, United Kingdom
“Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Fabulous dinner, highly recommend the aduki bean and cashew nut pie, so good! As was the Ginger & lime sorbet with Orange Cake, we were a table of 9 and everyone had a super meal, service great and a good busy atmosphere. This was my first ever visit to David Bahn and very much look forward to a return visit.

“Return Trip”
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

We visited here 2 years ago whilst at the Fringe! So before embarking on our trip to Skye via Glasgow & back via Edinburgh... We booked a table! Love love love this place.... Food is very different & very tasty! Great choices!
I have to say as a blogger I have been invited to new restaurants to try their food & asked to write about the vegetarian options on a restaurant website! I have never been paid for my views & am always truthful! I love my food!
So when I see negative posts I can only imagine the person has no clue about real food! I say real food as this is exactly what is served here! If you're used to processed or conglomerates then tasting real food must be quite a shock! I digress.... Really wish they would open more across the country.... Decent vegetarian/vegan places are hard to find! We will be back!

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We visited on Saturday for lunch. The meal was outstanding.

I had the smoked cheese tart starter, (made to order) and it was really delicious, lovely smokey cheese without being overpowering. My main course was the aduki bean and cashew pie, this was fantastic, I've never had anything like this before, the pie wasn't made of pastry, but it was in a case of potato. On the side was a serving of fresh veg smothered in a thick spicy coconut curry type sauce, omg, it was fabulous. Accompanied by cardamom marinated plums. Fabulous. I was full after my main course, but couldn't resist a dessert as I'm greedy and they looked so good. I had hot apple and calvados tart (made to order again), and this was served with home made chocolate ice cream. This dessert was fabulous. I also tasted the raspberry and lemon posset, and the orange cake with ginger ice cream and these were also delicious. All washed down with a flaggon of wine, we were rolled out full to the brim :)

I can't wait to return to David Bann, it was a top notch meal, and definitely one of the best meals I've ever had.

My only complaint would be that there was a screaming child in the restaurant, although this isn't the fault of the restaurant, I'd have preferred if they'd been seated in the upper area as it did rather spoil the atmosphere.

Dalkeith, United Kingdom
“Terrible food”
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Being a vegetarian restaurant shouldn't be an excuse for unpleasant or bland food.

My starter was a Thai smoked tofu fritter, which was unfortunately, absolutely terrible. It tasted of wet bonfire. I had to leave almost all of it. Genuinely, it was gag-worthy. Imagine smokey rubber that cost £7 to eat. As a final sour note - there was nothing Thai about this sad dish.

For my main meal, I had the risotto, which was a lot less dreadful. It still wasn't very good though and didn't have any real flavour to it. Looking back, it's hard to see how the hapless chef could create such a boring dish, even only using vegetables. I genuinely would have preferred a plate of boiled pasta with some ketchup squirted onto it.

I skipped dessert on the basis that I hadn't enjoyed anything that had been prepared by the kitchen thus far, and didn't want to appear rude by leaving yet more unfinished food.

Service was actually pretty pleasant, if a bit less polished than I'd like. Can't blame the waiting staff for the horrible food though.

Wine was good and reasonably priced.

Cost was unforgivable, given the dreadful quality of the food.

Overall, just a really sad experience for someone who enjoys their food.

1 Thank Dalkeith1