“See it for what it is”

Cuisines: Chinese
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Neighbourhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed 28 October 2013

If you know what you want then what you have is good value home from an excellent chef.

Yes it's cramped and the middle aged owner and chef are surly but the waiting staff are pleasant and occasionally helpful.

The noodle soups are great especially the hofun with tripe ( if that's your thing ) and the golden fried offal with fermented bean dip is heavenly .

Cheap as chips as well but don't expect great service of atmosphere. Defintely authentic and a far cry from the usual over sweetened gloop that passes itself as Cantonese in the UK.

I've been several times since it opened and will go again

2  Thank A_Zeya

Reviewed 26 October 2013

This place is a nice reminder of my home cooked food. I thought I should also throw it out there considering everyone else is...I've lived in Hong Kong for 16 years. I come here to get my daily fix of a piece of HK. I admit that the quality of service is not up to scratch, however, the satisfactory food more than makes up for it. What's expensive and what is cheap is all relative. I personally found it reasonably priced for my small wallet.

5  Thank Ellen C
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The staff is usually extremely rude. Regarding the quality of the food, as a person who has stayed in Hong Kong for half a year and ate out everyday, I am very disappointed by the taste. The portion is tiny as well, especially the noodle soup. A bit overpriced I`d say. Would rather go to Noodle bar on the South bridge or pay a bit more for a proper Chinese restaurant.

3  Thank Angela P
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We went in and at the time only a 4 stools table was available. As reviewers have said the tables are small and the table was probably more suited for two people or three people. The old lady who is probably the part owner of the business was miserable, and it was confusing whether she had understood the order. After ordering, I was told to move tables when a table with two stools had become available. During our time there the table that we had originally sat at was never occupied! The food was also below average, and have tasted better Chinese. Also they do not accept cards...

3  Thank bluberry c
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I have to start off by saying that the food is genuinely not bad tasting! It's certainly value for your money as the portions given is a healthy amount.

However.. The service is abismal. I think the business is family-run and the father was ridiculously rude towards me. He shouted incoherently towards me several times on Chinese whilst scorning at me when I accidentally dropped some ho fun (I'm not used to chopsticks). The waitress was even worse and ignored my requests several times before comin to me and giving me a disgruntled look as if I was purposefully pestering her. She gave me a snide look when I asked for a bill (as if she was saying 'finally').

2  Thank Food_fanatic83