“Lovely cakes such a shame about the staff!!”
Review of Cafe Marlayne

Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Broughton & Calton
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Cafe Marlayne was a regular of mine, lovely coffee, great cake and competitive prices but the staff have a lot to learn. They don't smile or interact with their customers at all, not even regulars. I have been here with different friends and on every occasion my friends have commented on the rudeness of the staff. Every single front of house member of staff is sour faced and unwelcoming. Management really need to provide training on basic customer service skills.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

When visiting another town I usually do my homework, but we found ourselves, unprepared, in Leith Walk needing something to eat. The first place we tried was preparing to close in 10 minutes, the next had become so pretentious since I was last there some six years ago, I knew I did not want to eat there. Cafe marlayne was certainly a case of third time lucky. Immediately we felt comfortable here and were given a great welcome, which I think would have been the same if we had just come in for a coffee. We decided to go through the back which was bright and holds a real mixture of furniture and artefacts. On looking at the menu we went for a 3 course meal and each course was lovely: tasty and well presented. Cafe Marlayne is certainly worth the extra bit walk down Leith Walk, it was no distance really back up to get the tram back to our car. It was lovely to stumble into this place, and it will become a regular fixture on my Edinburgh trips.

1  Thank Anne H
Reviewed 17 July 2014

We enjoyed 2 exquisite starters at a very reasonable price - smoked salmon with fresh asparagus and home made mayonnaise; and a delicately flavoured boudin noir with crispy pancetta, apple compote with a hint of mustard, saute potato and salad.

Our main course was duck breast, nicely rare, on a bed of puy lentils which had been sensitively seasoned and dressed, again at a very reasonable price.

Our wine was Le Casse Noix Syrah which was served at a perfect temperature and was tasty -and smooth for a syrah.

The quality of the freshly prepared food together with the laid back friendly service made this a lunch to remember. We were surprised the place was so quiet - only 8 tables occupied.

The airy dining room is decorated with a wide selection of original art and features an upright piano as well as a 1950s sink unit decorated with silver candelabra and candlesticks.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Love the Café Marlayne for a coffee and a nice cake and a nice atmosphere. The quality of the food served in the restaurant is average though, nothing exceptional I have to say.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I used to enjoy the consistently nice food here but tonight (mid June 2014) was almost unpleasant, and not on good form at all. Has the management changed?