“Plumed Horse - Food Heaven!”
Review of The Plumed Horse - CLOSED

The Plumed Horse
Price range: US$41 - US$103
Cuisines: European
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Relocated from Castle Douglas to Leith (lucky for us), The Plumed Horse is the brainchild of superstar Chef/Proprietor Tony Borthwick who earned the restaurant a Michelin Star in 2001. Although the move to Leith has meant giving up the star it can’t possibly be too long before the Plumed Horse is decorated again. Stylishly simple, the restaurant is all white walls, white linen and light and airy space, the ideal backdrop to an evening of gastronomic delights. The imaginative menu has lost nothing in its relocation, still boasting impressively modern cuisine with a good classical twist and presentation which almost stops you digging in with that fork. The Plumed Horse’s star has certainly not fallen
Reviewed 28 September 2010

My wife and I visited the Plumed Horse for the first time on Saturday 25th September, but it definitely won't be the last time!
The ambience, decor etc. are first class - not too stuffy, nor too casual, just right.
The food ( we had the tasting menu ) was sublime, well deserving of their current Best Restaurant awards and of course, their Michelin star.
The staff were all excellent, from the Maitre'D and sommelier, to the waiters, who were all very knowledgeable about the cooking methods and ingredients - all in all a superb dining experience

Reviewed 27 September 2010

Well where do you start. This resturant lives up to its names ten stars,The seating, the food, the wine, the service [especially Big thanks to Richard, we hat the most fantastic time.
we will def be back.
margaret/brian
Dunfermline

Reviewed 26 September 2010

My wife and I ate at the Plumed Horse on the 25th September 2010. We had meant to try this place ages ago but never got round to it. Well we are glad we finally decided to try it!!
The place is very tastefully decorated, the staff are very very friendly without being obtrusive. The food is fantastic! There is a no wonder this is rated as best restaurant 2010-11 by Catering in Scotland.
When booking the meal I had explained that I didnt want the Calves Liver or Sea Bream that was on the lunch menu, the staff explained this was no problem and spoke with the chef who suggested corn fed chicken instead. On the day my wife opted for the calves liver which I tried and have to say that it was superb as was my chicken. The starters of Fois Gras pate and Langoustine Bisque were both top drawer starters. The rice pudding dessert I had was excellant as was my wife's cheese board.
We had a lovely bottle of Prosecco a couple of drinks and all in we were under £100, which for food of this standard is brilliant value for money.
The atmosphere inside the Plumed Horse is great with all the staff being very friendly and making us feel like we were regular customers when in fact it was our first visit, we do hope to be regular customers from now on though. Unlike other Michelin star restaurants we have eaten in the atmosphere was nice and relaxed which helped us enjoy our meal even more.
Another lovely touch was spending time chatting with both Ian and Tony (who is the head chef) and owner. Tony took about 15mins to sit and chat with us about his food and it was obvious to us that he has a real passion for cooking.
Our only regret was booking for lunch and not an evening meal! We will be returning next month to rectify this and on Tony's suggestion will be opting for the tasting menu!! Watch this space for our review!
If you are reading this review you must be considering eating at the Plumed Horse, stop reading the review and pick up the phone and book a table now! Unlike the previous reviewer we had no issues at all with phoning to book a table.

Reviewed 26 September 2010

Cannot fault our dining experience at The Plumed Horse.The food, atmorsphere and ambience were first rate.

Reviewed 7 September 2010

My wife and I visited The Plumed Horse a couple of weeks ago for our anniversary for the first time after it was recommended by friends.

Once we got there the experience was great. The quality of the food was excellent and waiting staff could not have been more helpful. I would thoroughly recommend the roast lamb.

Our bill for the two of us came to around £150 which given the occasion, quality and the fact we plumped for a really good wine was great value.

Now for the bad bit....and it was a really frustrating experience. After I'd been recommended to book I went online to view their website and get the telephone number. I called and then was put on hold for 5 MINUTES after which point I hung up.

I then tried the next day and again waited for several minutes before being connected to someone who didn't seem to know much about the restaurant or the menu and whether it would be suitable for my wife's allergies. I then asked about the availability for booking a table and was cut off!!

To be honest at this point I would usually have given up but my friends recommendation had been so good I went into the restaurant and booked the table myself. It must be said that the restaurant staff could not have been more helpful and certainly didn't reflect the manner of the person on the phone.

Overall this is an excellent restaurant but don't book by phone!

George